Catfish ID help

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Winning bid goes 2 Jay!...nice work man... i searched non stop also trying 2 find a pic with no avail. Then we get an unexpected vid from a member. Looks like its even rarer than we/i initially expected. Vince, uve outdone urself again :) ... im not partial to hybrids or full bloods, i like em all... but i will say the u.s. is waaaaay behind on aquaculture. Pretty amazing whats being done in fish farming. I guess i can understand some people's takes on hybrids now. They may out number true w/c full bloods one day.
I don't believe most of the 'platinums' are bred to be platinums.. they are more like bycatch.. luck of the draw :) From my understanding, after speaking with a few farmers that breed catfish and gars for food.. all the platinums and albinos are just luck of the draw. The farmers are just better at weeding out the color morphs at a much smaller/younger size now that they realize there is $ in those morphs. That's why there has been a 'price drop' in recent years for 'platinum' fish (gars, bichirs, cats etc) With other wc fish.. the opposite has occurred.. higher demand without higher supply= price increase.

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
Platinum fish..esp. the younger ones will not show full platinum coloration, the platinum gets more intense as they grow. At least that is what I know from my limited experience with platinum fish. I've posted a video of the same fish but with top view instead and I'm sure based on that video that this is a platinum cat.
Gotcha thanks...Pseudos go through such a dramatic color change when they're small I wasn't sure if there was actually anything unusual about it.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'm so jealous- nice pick up
That makes two of us "drool masters"

Vince, feel free to disregard my question altogether but an indication of price would help us wannabees in the future. I infer that all these fish that Wes brought in had been reserved, none were available to anyone else... otherwise I'd expect he'd offer me one for sure :)

Reactions: vincentwugwg

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
That makes two of us "drool masters"

Vince, feel free to disregard my question altogether but an indication of price would help us wannabees in the future. I infer that all these fish that Wes brought in had been reserved, none were available to anyone else... otherwise I'd expect he'd offer me one for sure :)
I don't know but I told Wes a long time ago to let me know when he got some in and I didn't get a call- he must know I'm cheap lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store