Channa sterwatii

Wynie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2023
What age and size are channa sterwatii sexually mature? How do you initiate breeding?

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
They should be at least 1,5 years old and must have recently experienced a"winter" period to develop their gonads. Without properly developed gonads they are infertile and normaly not interessted in spawning. This socalled "winter" period, which idealy falls in the month from November till March, means little to no food, less light and temperatures around 18-19°C / 64-66°F for 3-4 month. With rising temperatures after the "winter" period they will be interessted in spawning and also need to be fed again.

Reactions: tlindsey

Wynie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2023
We are currently in winter and I dropped their temp to 20 degrees Celsius. How do I properly sex them? I own 4 but keep each of them seperately. How do I introduce them to one another? I will probably try and breed them next year but wanna try and do some research but there is not much information available

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Males have a broader head, a higher dorsal and show more black spots in most cases. The amount of black spots only works within the same location variety.
Colder temp is good but you also need to reduce the food. Otherwise their gonads will not develop properly.
In "winter" you can put them all in one tank, provided there are enough hiding places.

Wynie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2023
Where can I read up on the gonad development, etc? There is not much information available on them. Out of the 4, 2 are definitely male but the other 2 I have my doubts.

I suppose I’ll have to feed them properly leading up to winter? Will a 4ft be sufficient to house the 4 during winter to check if they’ll pair up? Provided there's enough hiding space

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Probably the best book about snake heads there is.

I don't know if the English version is still available. I got my copy in German.
552 pages worth every €.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store