Chitala hypselonotus and Chitala borneensis

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
We don't have borneensis here, we have only Chilala lopis.
A few of lopis have some stripe or pattern like RCK but not clear.
Only this fish it was difference and clearly.
What contry are you from?

Only Laos and Cambodia is where Chitala Borneensis cannot be found where Chitala Lopis occur. However both Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia where these two species overlap. Not really have an actual clue on the species yet but it's best to take some mtDNA and compare that to Chitala lopis or Chitala Borneensis.

AU_Arowana-RG

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2008
Cebu, Phillipines

Only Laos and Cambodia is where Chitala Borneensis cannot be found where Chitala Lopis occur. However both Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia where these two species overlap. Not really have an actual clue on the species yet but it's best to take some mtDNA and compare that to Chitala lopis or Chitala Borneensis.
So, does this mean we can safely assume that Borneensis and Hypselonotus do not occur within the Mekong and Chao Phraya River basins?

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
Can't say I know anything about these guys, but they would definitely be of interest for the Knife Nuts to actually see both species...at least a real picture of them;)
I am a knife nut and I would love to see real pictures of both!! I love knifefish :headbang2

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
So, does this mean we can safely assume that Borneensis and Hypselonotus do not occur within the Mekong and Chao Phraya River basins?
I can't say that we can "safely assume" as we know only just so little info on these two specimen. Can't jump any conclusion yet untill I can uncover the mystery of these two featherbacks and end up in my tank.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
I am a knife nut and I would love to see real pictures of both!! I love knifefish :headbang2
Click the link that Oleoleole posted. It's in thai so you may wanna google translate it. Pics are kinda blurry though.

Oleoleole

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
BKK

I'm in Thailand.
You may right although I never seen report about Chitala Borneensis in Thailand. It is not in list of Thai fish index.

Oleoleole

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
BKK
That's rignt.
Frankly speaking. I never seen "real" Chitala lopis in Chao Phraya & Mekong besin too.
It is possible to mis-identification?
Chitala lopis here found only in western and southern Thailand. Me-Klong (not Mekong) & Tapee basin.

AU_Arowana-RG

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2008
Cebu, Phillipines
That's rignt.
Frankly speaking. I never seen "real" Chitala lopis in Chao Phraya & Mekong besin too.
It is possible to mis-identification?
Chitala lopis here found only in western and southern Thailand. Me-Klong (not Mekong) & Tapee basin.
Umm, I'm not referring to Lopis in anyway. I'm referring to Borneensis and Hypselonotus.

Ask me about Lopis, and I could direct you to the MRC's critical species page. Which includes Chitala Lopis as an important fish for consideration in the Mekong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store