Cichlasoma synspilum

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
They both appear to be the same species to me, because there are many color, and location variants.
Those from Laguna Bacalar in the Yucatan, can look very different from those in forested area rivers in Belize.
Beside that......
The species "name" synspillum, is no longer considered valid.
DNA testing has determined synspillum and melanurus are simply color and location variants of the same species, which may account for the color differences in your fish.
The reason synspillum was dropped, is because melanurus was described first in 1862 by the scientific community, the term sypillum was not described until 1935 (or there about).
Whatever name was scientifically used first, trumps the other.

Last edited:

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm looking at getting another tank in the new year and i want to keep the vieja synspillum, I love their colours. However, my research kept throwing the term "melanurus" into the mix and it started doing my head in, to such an extent that i PM'D duanes duanes to clear it up for me, which he did.

If you put "synspillum" or "melanurus" into a search engine you come up with the same pictures, and they also share another name, "the redhead cichlid".

They can't have the same scientific name but they share the same common name! As if cichlids aren't complicated enough, lol.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
The second specimen is a variety Vieja melanurus formerly called synspilum.

The first one does not look like any proper Vieja species. I would not even be sure if a melanurus (ex synspilum) is involved in the mix.
It does not show enough black in the belly and the back to be melanurus. No matter how faded or colored up they are they always show some black scales in these areas.
And the black stripe apears quite long for a melanura.

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Good question... the bottom one looks like Synspilum the top pic is suspect..I’ve caught synspilum in the same water way at the same time and their coloration varied...

Reactions: tlindsey

maxstillen

Dovii
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Denver, CO
The name synspilum got changed to melanura that is why you are getting 2 different results. But from the pictures it looks like 2 melanura/synspilum, just maybe from different catch locations like duanes said.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Your second pic looks like my melanura/synspilum

the first one might be from Belize but still is a mel/sysn vieja

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store