Cincelichthys pearsei vs bocourti

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Hi CA cichlid lovers,

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on these two fish and why you might prefer one over the other.

Please share your thoughts on any aspect of the fish - coloration/markings, personality, aggression, size, shape, etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be getting one of these two, would like as much information as possible, especially from people who have actually kept one or both.

Thanks,
-Adam

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Some random thoughts of my own, based only on pictures, videos, threads and articles I've read. No actual experience keeping these.
  • Pearsei seems to maybe have a bit of a higher body and more prominent forehead/hump, wheras bocourti seems slightly more elongated.
  • Bocourti generally seem to have better color and more interesting markings.
  • Pearsei seem to be more peaceful, but neither seems super-aggressive.
  • Size seems about the same but pearsei maybe get a little bigger?
  • COTA has bocourti in stock.

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
I’ve kept Pearsei, and they do grow big, and pretty quickly. Mine wasn’t very aggressive but it’s size kept it off the radar for some Parachromis and Amphilophus I kept along with it. It was okay, but not very interesting in my opinion. It doesn’t have much panache, sort of a blasé guy. “It’s a fish.” would be my overall review.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have kept both, and don't consider any one species better or worse, or more or less interesting than the other, they are both basically vegetarian as they get older, I would consider neither aggressive , but.....unless your tank is at least 300 gallons, a compact space can make even the mildest cichlid testy. I moved my 14-15" pearsei, from a 150 gal, to a 300 gallon at a little over 2 years of age, and similar amount of time for similar sized bocourti maybe, slightly younger.
I had pearsei, before I got a decent camera, but a couple shots of bocourti below, before they were moved to large stock tanks.

juvie bocourti eating dandelions

with Chuco intermedia

Reactions: adamsfishes

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I’ve kept Pearsei, and they do grow big, and pretty quickly. Mine wasn’t very aggressive but it’s size kept it off the radar for some Parachromis and Amphilophus I kept along with it. It was okay, but not very interesting in my opinion. It doesn’t have much panache, sort of a blasé guy. “It’s a fish.” would be my overall review.
How big was this tank if you don't mind me asking?

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Looking at more fish, and I saw the Amph Lyonsi ... it's kind of like a bocourti but with more reds. Hmmmm .... I don't know how anyone ever decides what fish to get. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha
Reactions: triggered

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
It was a 220 at the time with about 4 juvenile fish, I try to keep the bare minimum in my tanks at all times, especially when they are either aggressive by nature or grow to a decent adult size. The Pearsei was an impulse buy when I started a new tank with similar sized fish. It was one of four around 1.5 inch at purchase, did well, just not very interesting compared to some of the other fish I’ve purchased. I’m still a bit more interested in the species that may be more difficult in community settings but have a bit more personality. I can usually keep about four fish in my 220 as long as they grow up together and have a decent amount of room and structure they can use for themselves. The Pearsei was a good tankmate with the rest, just not particularly interesting in itself.

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Also, the Lyonsi is the best fish I think I’ve ever kept. If you can get your hands on 6 or so of them, I’d do that and only that. They have the look and the personality of a fish that’s worth keeping. That’s just my two cents though, to each their own.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
How big was this tank if you don't mind me asking?
I started (where the photos were taken) growing them out in a 150 gal, but had to move them to at least a 300 (a Rubbermaid stock tank).

and eventually a 900 to 1000 gal kiddy pool, similar to the one below, but this shot os with Paretroplus and Paratilapia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store