Clown knife at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
For a while in the 4500 gal, the older knife had something underneath its mouth / gills, like a protrusion, bone / cartilage or skin, IDK, and I thought its some injury from trying to swallow too big a piece of herring or too bony a piece. It has been slowly diminishing and almost gone now but I had thought it'd never go away. If someone could explain what this could have been, we'd appreciate it.
That thing under the bigger knife's jaw has been back again for a couple of months now. Does anyone know what it is, what causes it?

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
From your description only:

They have extendable jaws to better grab small soft prey. Similar to Altolamprologus compressiceps (Tanganyika) or barramundi. Unfortunately the bottom jaw is easily dislocated on hard objects or too big - too strong food. So it folds back incorrectly on the inside instead of outside. You can "pop" it back manually otherwise it can permanently set. Unfortunately once broken, it tends to dislocate much easier and often in the future.

Clown knife (chitala) become exotic introduced pests in almost every country they have been to so fairly easy to breed if you want a pet project? Fairly good eating too.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The knives, especially the smaller, younger one, supposed male, have a habit to use wels catfish as a structure or cover in the tank :)

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Hi Viktor, I am curious if any of your clown knifefish may have been caught nearby in Florida? I am currently working on a phylogeny of this genus and was curious if I could possibly take some samples of your fish sometime in late September/October? Any origin will be fine but I am also working on the nonnative Knifefish in WPB/Miami. Fin clips are all I need.

We are in need of a handful of trade specimens to use as out groups/comparisons for the other fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
That's a first and interesting! Are you a student in ichthyology? You're welcome to take samples of our two rescue knives. I suspect they were bought in the aquarium trade. One came from a lady in Pt Charlotte about 4-5 years ago at about 10", it's the bigger one now, maybe female, looks 2ft, maybe +. The other came from a guy in Ft Myers 3-4 years ago at about 8", it's about 1.5ft right now, maybe a male. I wish to get some from the FL wild but have no time to go find them and fish for them.

Reactions: SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
That's a first and interesting! Are you a student in ichthyology? You're welcome to take samples of our two rescue knives. I suspect they were bought in the aquarium trade. One came from a lady in Pt Charlotte about 4-5 years ago at about 10", it's the bigger one now, maybe female, looks 2ft, maybe +. The other came from a guy in Ft Myers 3-4 years ago at about 8", it's about 1.5ft right now, maybe a male. I wish to get some from the FL wild but have no time to go find them and fish for them.
Yes I am. I am supposed to keep any fish I catch so if I do happen to catch any with interesting patterns I could definitely send them your way. I’ll likely get the ball rolling around late September

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store