Combine two plastic ponds?????

shelbyzman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
USA
I currently have a small kidney shaped fish pond. My mother-in-law is changing fish ponds and is giving us here round pond. Both are plastic.
Is there any way of combining to two so that fish can swim from one to the other? How would I seal between the two so there wouldn't be any leaks?

Here is my crazy idea.............
Cut a hole in both ponds somewhere around the middle and put a large piece of pcv to connect the two (seal it of course) then fish could swim from one pond to the other?

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
i would dig a channel between them cutting the sides, and use some type of pond liner.

thats my idea i dont know if it would work as ive never setup a pond like that,

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
sostoudt;3134928; said:
i would dig a channel between them cutting the sides, and use some type of pond liner.

thats my idea i dont know if it would work as ive never setup a pond like that,
Then seal the liner to the ponds...

shelbyzman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
USA
So you all don't think the pvc idea would work?

Neophyte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2008
US, Mass
Build a acrylic bridge between the two ponds kinda like a big squared off U and suck all the air out and you'll have a bridge that you'll be able to see the fish while they are moving back and forth. :headbang2

shelbyzman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
USA
I was thinking of putting the large diameter pvc pipe (probably a few inches long) to connect the two ponds. This pvc would be underground. The main reason for it is to allow the fish to go from one size to the other.

My main question I guess is.....could I connect the pvc (sealed with 100% silicone) and it not leak? And, will the fish actually swim from one side to the other?

Satan's Goldfish

Cloven-hoofed Sea Monkey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Carterton, Oxfordshire
Not sure if silicone's the stuff to use, but must be possible to fit the pipe to the pre-formed ponds as i've seen bottom drains on them and stock tubs in lfs have something similar. Not sure how it's done tho. Nice idea anyway.

shelbyzman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
USA
If silicone isn't correct, what should I use to seal it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store