Common Houseplants in aqarium, the list!

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
any thoughts on submerging pothos? im seeing more and more aquarists on youtube successfully submerging pothos completely. also im wondering if hedera ivy is aquarium safe with emerged roots?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
My experience with emerging Pothos leaves is that they gradually turn yellow and die. I use Pothos in a lot of tanks and occasionally they grow leaves under the water; they never seem to do well.

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
My experience with emerging Pothos leaves is that they gradually turn yellow and die. I use Pothos in a lot of tanks and occasionally they grow leaves under the water; they never seem to do well.
I can agree with this, the plant does fine when mature leaves are submerged but the new growth i keep just above the surface. It can grow underwater but it will produce smaller leaves in my experience.

Another interesting fact about Pothos is that it will produce larger leaves if it grows upwards than when it hangs. I usually aim them slightly upwards so I get bigger foliage growing.

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
any thoughts on submerging pothos? im seeing more and more aquarists on youtube successfully submerging pothos completely. also im wondering if hedera ivy is aquarium safe with emerged roots?
I don't think Hedera species will do well in tanks but that is just a guess, maybe someone with more experience on this can chip in.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I don't think Hedera species will do well in tanks but that is just a guess, maybe someone with more experience on this can chip in.
i know they will grow in aquarium water. i have one with roots submerged. its small in comparison to my setup. im more wondering if its safe for the fish, i kind of tried out of impulse. i probably should have asked more questions or did more isolated testing.

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
When I have tried submerging Pothos leaves, they usually melt away after a short time.
Even older established growth? I've had Pothos submerged for quite some time now and almost never had yellowing leaves. Sometimes the oldest leaves will wither away but only after a long period. Once a couple of new leaves have developed I push them underwater leaving only the tip above water waiting for new growth and repeat.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
i know they will grow in aquarium water. i have one with roots submerged. its small in comparison to my setup. im more wondering if its safe for the fish, i kind of tried out of impulse. i probably should have asked more questions or did more isolated testing.
Personally I would do more testing in an isolated setting without fish and see what it does to the water. From a quick search I didnt get a clear answer to how toxic it would be for fish but found most people advising against it on different forum posts about Hedera in aquariums.

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Even older established growth? I've had Pothos submerged for quite some time now and almost never had yellowing leaves. Sometimes the oldest leaves will wither away but only after a long period. Once a couple of new leaves have developed I push them underwater leaving only the tip above water waiting for new growth and repeat.
Interesting. Maybe it has something to do with what's in your water and missing in mine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store