Common Houseplants in aqarium, the list!

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
IMG_20240909_232624.jpg
IMG_20240909_232643.jpg

Here is my 260 and 320. Made canopies above them to trap heat and humidity.

In the 320 as of now i have monstera and epipremnum.
In the 260 I have just epipremnum.

I work at a garden center myself though so I'm going to have a look tomorrow at any cuttings i can take. I want to try document this well since these are pretty new tanks

• Love
Reactions: Parka and AR1

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
I ended up only bringing Philodendron Scandens and Micans. Didnt have much other than regular Pothos.

I'll update in a few weeks how they do

Reactions: Parka

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Nice thread. I don't know how I missed this. I'm a houseplant guy and I'm regularly trying out new plants in my little hex tank. At the moment I have three small terrestrial plants in there and two aquatic plants.

I bought the three terrestrials as small cuttings, washed all the soil off the root system and simply placed them in DIY plant holders around the edge of the tank.

Left to right, the terrestrials are Calathea "vittata", a Fittonia and a Calathea "concinna". The floating aquatic plants are frog bit, with a little bit of salvinia too. All are doing well.

IMG_20240910_181402_HDR.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Parka and Joseppe

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
Nice! Calathea and Ctenante were next on my list to try out in the tanks as I have a friend who has them in a paludarium. I completely forgot about fittonia as well. Very nice!

Joseppe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2019
Belgium
1726682874109.jpeg
Added some orchids to see if those will work. So far not that good results already after a short period. Already have yellowing leaves on old growth but new growth seems to be doing ok. Too early to tell. Roots arent rotting but also arent submerged. Hoping the humidity will be enough.

Added aglaonema, so far so good. No change to the plant other than the newest leaf further developing and I've noticed no root rot, but new growth already.

Added a cutting of Anthurium. The newly developing leaf rotted at the tip but I didn't have much hope for that one anyway. To my surprise, it started developing healthy root. We'll see what it starts doing in terms of growth once it's established healthy roots.

The Philodendron Scandens Brasil and Micans are both adapting well. Multiple new points of roots emerging, a lot of air roots emerging.

Orchids and Anthurium will most likely fail due to the caponies being too humid for them I believe, but time will tell.

Reactions: AR1 and esoxlucius
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store