Commonly Sold Rays

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
OK, ALOT of people here seems to be a newb on stingrays.

So, I gathered some info which I hope will help with your identification of commonly found rays.

Let me start by saying, none of these photos nor the fish in the photos belong to me.

Now, let's begin.

Potamotrygon reticulata:

These are often sold as, "teacup" rays. Extremely variable in color and pattern. But one thing you can't miss is the flattened tail, which is outlined with a light colored skin on the sides. They usually sport a labyrinth or ornate pattern on the disc, resembling that of a net.

Potamotrygon humerosa:

These are also commonly sold as, "teacup" rays. They have circular patterns (but not spots) on the disc with sand paper like disc when felt. They are very often confused with the Potamotrygon orbignyi, which has a smooth disc to the touch.

Potamotrygon orbignyi:

These are almost indistinguishable from the humerosa, except it has a smooth skinned disc as oppose to the P. humerosa's rough sand paper like skin.

Potamotrygon yepezi:

Although the identity of the "true" P. yepezi is still not confirmed, this ray pictured below is commonly sold as the P. yepezi. These has random marks on the disc, which does not define any spots or ornate patterns.

Potamotrygon hystrix:

These are easy to disguish due to the moltted like pattern on the disc with small scattered dots within those patterns:

I think that's about it. These are very very basic descriptions and would definitely need further development, but I'm just too lazy.

Feel free to correct or add any content. :)

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
good post thanks ming

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
yeah, just trying to teach the newbies so they don't say, "oh, that looks like a retic". meanwhile it's obviously a humerosa ray.

one of the most effective ways of identifying a ray is by looking at the tail in combination with the general pattern and the shape of the disc.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Thanks for the info.

kody1192

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Illinois
one thing i would like to add about the rectic is(sorry if i missed this in your post) that they have a net pattern (like a fishing net) that is how i usually can tell if its a rectic. great post we need this.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
hey man, go ahead and make this thing sticky!!
great info:)

Eric L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
washington
yeah, just trying to teach the newbies so they don't say, "oh, that looks like a retic". meanwhile it's obviously a humerosa ray.

one of the most effective ways of identifying a ray is by looking at the tail in combination with the general pattern and the shape of the disc.

lol, I guess ur talking about my post in another thread but I got a ray that was labeled as a reticula that looked like that and I never bothered to have it IDed.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
nice info ming

adding leos and motorros for most begining ray owners would also be nice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store