Creating natural, functional cichlid display tanks

Arraiza01

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2020
Norwalk
I thought I was anally retentive back when this thread was 1st begun back in 2018.
Now in 2024, I will only keep cichlids (and other fish that are found in the same river system.
Some might think that puts severe limits of diversity, but that hardy feels confining where from where I sit
View attachment 1549621.
View attachment 1549622
Although I have only found 3 species of cichlids (so far) in this river system, other fish species more than make up for it.
View attachment 1549624
View attachment 1549625
Everything from loach like gobies, and Chaetostoma Plecos, to shrimp, to any number of dithering tetras and live bearers keep the water column busy.
View attachment 1549626
View attachment 1549628View attachment 1549629
View attachment 1549630View attachment 1549630View attachment 1549631
View attachment 1549632

I did that at one point where I collected species specifically only from that river. I then started collecting rarer fish. So hard to isolate fish from different regions if you can only have 1 tank. Unfortunately that is where I'm at, but a my fish are long term pets, and I love and grew them out all from 2-3"

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
This is an old thread, and I commented on it back in 2018 starting on page 6 . My position hasn't changed. What appears natural in "Nature Aquariums" is actually very unnatural, as they tend to mimic landscape, garden, rock and wood arrangements that are pleasing to the eyes, but don't exist in nature. Functional can be totally unnatural too as a bunch of flower pots make good habitat for many cichlid. I considered my planted cichlid tanks natural looking and functional as species of diverse habitats get along fine and breed regularly, though the set ups are far from natural.

Once again, thank you for your comments on my thread. They were as useful as chocolate fire guard.👏👏

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
This is an old thread, and I commented on it back in 2018 starting on page 6 . My position hasn't changed. What appears natural in "Nature Aquariums" is actually very unnatural, as they tend to mimic landscape, garden, rock and wood arrangements that are pleasing to the eyes, but don't exist in nature. Functional can be totally unnatural too as a bunch of flower pots make good habitat for many cichlid. I considered my planted cichlid tanks natural looking and functional as species of diverse habitats get along fine and breed regularly, though the set ups are far from natural.

View attachment 1549645

View attachment 1549646
Once again , thank you for your insightful comments on my thread, they were as much use as a chocolate fire guard 👍👏👏

• Haha
Reactions: RD. and Milingu

Arraiza01

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2020
Norwalk
It’s about time I added a picture to this thread, so here’s a few.
Fish were not my choice, I got over ruled by the wife and daughter but I’m liking them more and more.

View attachment 1549746

View attachment 1549745

View attachment 1549743
I LOVE your EXCUSE behind this LOL.

TBH, I cannot agree with you anymore, lol. I did the altum discus setup for my wife at one point too.

As beautiful as it was, I couldn't deal with the extreme calmness of the tank. At least to it's extent of beauty!

Lovely setup bro! Thanks for sharing

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I LOVE your EXCUSE behind this LOL.

TBH, I cannot agree with you anymore, lol. I did the altum discus setup for my wife at one point too.

As beautiful as it was, I couldn't deal with the extreme calmness of the tank. At least to it's extent of beauty!

Lovely setup bro! Thanks for sharing
If these were wild discus I would be a lot more into it. Never been a fan of man made strains. Sometimes you have to compromise I suppose.
Having said that, I’m itching to do an Asian or west African biotope. I think I need to get back into biotopes as that’s where my real enthusiasm is.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
It’s about time I added a picture to this thread, so here’s a few.
Fish were not my choice, I got over ruled by the wife and daughter but I’m liking them more and more.

View attachment 1549746

View attachment 1549745

View attachment 1549743
This is the nicest planted discus tank I’ve seen that exceeds the beauty of their natural habitat.
I watched in my fish club a presentation of Project Piaba that provides expedition to the Amazon to see discus and other Amazonian fish collection
https://projectpiaba.org/expeditions/
Discus came from black water with heavy littoral vegetation. I was wondering why the most colorful fish came from water with the lowest visibility. I was told that fish can see UV light. So what looks opaque to our eyes could be vividly colorful to other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store