Cuban cichlid in a 55 gallon

GTcichlid74

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2016
NY
Hi everyone. I haven’t had cichlids in a couple years, I took down my big tank but recently got the itch to get back into it again. I’ve kept all types of cichlids so I know a bit but I’m not an expert. I’ve never had one but lately I have been thinking about getting a new 55 gallon for a single cichlid tank. The fish I want is a Cuban cichlid, I’ve had a female before and she was a pleasure to own and this time I would like to get a male. I’ve read that males can reach 10” in length but I’m hard pressed to find a video of one that big, the biggest I’ve seen someone claim on the internet is 8”. My question is what is the true average length of a full grown male cuban cichlid? and if he reaches that length, assuming I hook my 55 gallon up with more than adequate filtration and good consistent water changes, is it bad to keep him in a 55 gallon? Feel free to share your thoughts.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
As a solo male I think a 55 should just be big enough. With cichlids most of there growing is done in the first 6 years but you will still get some growth for the remainder of its life, fish nether stop growing. How old are the ones you see on the internet? Not many fish get past 5 years old in this hobby.

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Chris Craig (umbeeking) has a 10” male. They have the potential to get that large but I’d lean more towards the 8-9” as a typical max length. A 55 gallon should be alright for a solo Cuban.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I had a pair, 10" male, and <1/3 smaller female.
I would not consider a 55 gal large enough for a male (but maybe that's just me) .
A female yes, but a male seems in a relative sense, like it'd be similar to confining an adult Akita to a bathroom 24/7.
The pair ruled a 6 ft tank, so much so that all other fish had to be removed.
After they spawned a few times went into a 220 gal community of a friend in Chicago.

GTcichlid74

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2016
NY
If you haven't bought the tank yet, why not just buy a 75? it only takes up 6 more inches of room and would be a great permanent home for the Cuban, then you don't have to worry about upgrading in a year
I don’t think he will outgrow a 55 gallon in a year.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I don’t think he will outgrow a 55 gallon in a year.
you may be right, I'm just saying that bigger is better. 75 doesn't take up much more room, wont be much more expensive. I'd just spring for the 75 off the bat. But, to each his own

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
Thanks for the input guys. I guess the right thing to do is raise him in the 55 and if he grows past 8”, I’ll reset my bigger tank or get him a 75 gallon.
If he doesn't get to 8", is it because of the fish or because of the 55?

I think you already know the right thing to do. Whether you'd do it is up to you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store