Cuban cichlids

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
Good luck. Maybe ok for a short time. If any of the cubans pair up, it will get bad quickly. Males do not have an off switch. They will not stop until their target is dead.

Sinister-Kisses

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Again, it's temporary for QT for a few weeks, not long term. They're 2-3" in size, I don't think they'll be ready to pair up at that size?

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
Started with a group of 6. Moved out the other 4 once a pair was forming. Tried with and without a divider and came home from work with my female beaten badly. Put her in quarantine but did not survive the attack due to the wounds getting badly infected. Tried another female and didn't go well even with the divider. He was hurting himself on the divider to get to her. Rehomed her and kept the male as a solo. The male grew rather fast though.IMG_20240616_114114573.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Cichlids-r-beasts

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
Males are very unpredictable I've learned and knew about the possibility of hyper aggressive. The attack on the female was at a blink of an eye. Yes it can work and no it won't. When working, the female and male are both brightly colored and beautiful.

Reactions: tlindsey

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I've had luck with letting the male get abot twice the size of the female. Putting a strawberry pot with openings only large enough for the female. I never had a pair form and survive if they were similar in size.

Roger Mcfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2023
I've had luck with letting the male get abot twice the size of the female. Putting a strawberry pot with openings only large enough for the female. I never had a pair form and survive if they were similar in size.
My male was bigger than the female. His lights just switched one day. Had pots, driftwood and divider with holes. He conquered

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
With the pair I have now my male tried out and rejected (killed or tried to) 3 females before pairing up with number 4.

anzo1993

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Nandopsis tetracanthus, Cuban cichlid. Talk to me about 'em if you have experience with them? My search for a completely different species that is my current "need to have" (platinum angelfish, lol) has led me to Imperial Tropicals, which I discovered today ships to Canada. So I'm contemplating placing an order. But with the cost of shipping, I want to bulk out my order more to make it more worthwhile and have been looking at what else they have available. The cubans caught my eye...I do love a black and white fish! But I have no experience with them. Obviously I know they're aggressive, and what I'm finding online is that they stay a bit smaller than my "usual" angry species - maturing about 10"?

HOW aggressive is aggressive? Is it more species specific, or is any other fish a target? Just trying to figure out both short and long term logistics if I were to grab a few to grow out. Any first hand experience is appreciated :)
I’ve had a few Cubans over the years and there temperament really differs from individual to individual, I used to have a 12 inch male that was a gentle giant you could put him with fish that were 2 inches and he wouldn’t even try and chase them, and now I have a 5 inch female who is a savage who will kill anything added to the tank so it really depends imo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store