cuvier's dwarf caiman

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
I'd say 12'x4' minimum with something like 1/3 being water; they're pretty terrestrial compared to other crocs. I'd probably go with something like 18' long if it was a pair. I thought somebody on here has them, not sure though.

varanio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
Pam Pam Pam
Connor0729;1604495; said:
whats the minimum tank size for one of these? what about a pair?

thanks
I dont think there is a tank out there that could hold one for life let alone a pair, ct's suggestions are dead on! Which makes them undesirable pets unless you have the resources to build them something that large....indoor or even outdoor.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
talk to dieselmack. He just sold all of his cichla (even the azuls :() for a dwarf caiman enclosure

Connor0729

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ontario, Canada
isn't diesal mac's in a 450? i don't think its going to be in there for very long if it is:grinno:

i can't really do the outside thing, except maybe in the summer. thanks for the help guys, but its not looking good for me (like i didn't see it coming;))

griffin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
NY
I'm planning on getting one someday. Though not anytime soon. Personally, I would want to give it a room to itself.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
CTU2fan;1604621; said:
I'd say 12'x4' minimum with something like 1/3 being water; they're pretty terrestrial compared to other crocs. I'd probably go with something like 18' long if it was a pair. I thought somebody on here has them, not sure though.
That will be kind of tight. How well can a 4 foot or longer adult turn around in a tank only 4' wide? Plus they'll crack right through a glass tank at that size.

stonecat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2007
central pennsylvania
These guys need a large area, Just because they have dwarf in the name dosent mean they are small, Just are smaller than the other caimans. I wouldnt uses any glass they will break it. They do reach 6ft and weigh maybe 100lbs or more. Also these animals are costly to feed properly. They do need a variety of foods not just feeder goldfish. Also lighting will be an issue. Heat as well, water temps 85 or better and land temps about the same with basking spots around 95 to 100F. They do spend time in the water in capitivity, In the wild they use the water at night. They also are not the nicest of crocs. they have a tendency to be flighty and not real handleable. Males become territoral when the reach mature size. Just some thing to think about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store