dead bichir. how to perserve?

Askaleymanfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
I want to see it I would like to preserve my pbb whenever it kicks the bucket
skeletal articulation would most likely never work unless your friend is really experienced. bichirs are partially cartilaginous (subclass: chondrostei) so you wouldn't be able to do it like a normal actinopterygian fish. and not many people I know of are even skilled enough to do fully cartilaginous animals like sharks. so its a tall order.

I've read a thread here a while ago about preserving bichirs though I can't remember who wrote it. it was in 2005 I think. I would preserve it in alcohol (99% ethanol) and air dry it after proper preservation. from my experience, the ganoid scales that bichirs have are sturdy enough to hold their shape after air drying. you'll probably have to pin the fins to keep them in a position you like.

I've preserved the skull of my Senegal a year or so back and I can post a picture if you're interested after work.

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Ouch, sucks to loose such a large fish.

As for preserving them, I have had good luck drying them out in baking soda.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
Ouch, sucks to loose such a large fish.

As for preserving them, I have had good luck drying them out in baking soda.
do you have any pics of what it looks like after drying it out in baking soda? I was planning to go the alcohol route, but i haven't had anytime to mess with it yet.

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
I don't have any big ones, and haven't got any acrylic sealer, so it is still covered in baking soda, but to give you an idea
Photo on 23-08-15 at 9.44 pm.jpg

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
yeah. its still covered in baking soda :)

i think im going to soak it in alcohol and then put a clear glaze on it. i have six more bichirs i dont plan on ever selling, so eventually i'll get a few more tries at it if the first one doesnt work out.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Look up comments by King El. He shows examples and explains how to cook, not boil in alcohol. Then dry them out. I think the idea is the heat and alcohol kill everything and then just dry it.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You can more easily contact him via FB. His name is El May.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
You can more easily contact him via FB. His name is El May.
thanks! i'll post an update (success or failure) on this thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store