Decided to give plywood a shot

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
i am plannig to build one too as soon as i buy a house (hopefully this year) I'm thinking about a 6'by4'by2' aprox 375 gal my wife already said i can do it, can't wait :headbang2

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
reefman said:
i am plannig to build one too as soon as i buy a house (hopefully this year) I'm thinking about a 6'by4'by2' aprox 375 gal my wife already said i can do it, can't wait :headbang2
Good luck! Fun project!

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
how much ya got involved so far?
would ya like to build one thats like 4 foot by 30 inch by lik 18 tall?if so how much

viciouspisces

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2005
Kona ,Hawaii
very nice tank! wow I wish I had a workshop like that.I recently attempted to build a 6'X4'x2' tank (my husband wanted to kill me for building in the living room-had alot of problems a tiny leak by the front panel (when id fill it half full )-very frustrating problem!-ended up putting a pond liner inside the whole thing.I think having the right tools and patience really pays off ,maybe ill attempt to fix mine one day -or try again .Awesome job onthat tank tho :thumbsup:

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
viciouspisces said:
very nice tank! wow I wish I had a workshop like that.I recently attempted to build a 6'X4'x2' tank (my husband wanted to kill me for building in the living room-had alot of problems a tiny leak by the front panel (when id fill it half full )-very frustrating problem!-ended up putting a pond liner inside the whole thing.I think having the right tools and patience really pays off ,maybe ill attempt to fix mine one day -or try again .Awesome job onthat tank tho :thumbsup:
Thank you! i really wish i had the time to finish it completley though, still have to build the stand, hood, and filter system, but with my wife due anyday now i think i might just put the whole thing on hold for awhile.
out of curiosity what did you use to seal you wood? i found that several layers of 2 part epoxy and fiberglass works well. no leaks yet. been holding water for a few weeks now.
Good luck on your next attempt, 6X4X2 is quite a tank!
oh and yes, the right tools does really pay off. even if you only have to use them once.

viciouspisces

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2005
Kona ,Hawaii
islander671 said:
out of curiosity what did you use to seal you wood? i found that several layers of 2 part epoxy and fiberglass works well. no leaks yet. been holding water for a few weeks now.
Good luck on your next attempt, 6X4X2 is quite a tank!
oh and yes, the right tools does really pay off. even if you only have to use them once.
i used 3 layers of fiberglass (way thicker in the corners tho) and 2 part epoxy and 1/2" acylic sheet for the front (maybe not thick enough).Where i messed up I think was i used a jigsaw w/ a broken hand and my wood was not 100% straight maybe.I dunno ,honestly ,I let myself get pressured to finish the dang thing and kinda got sloppy.Mine makes a nice pond ,but not what i wanted.Maybe Ill try professionally cut glass next time (wanting a 300g).If yours hasnt leaked after a few weeks ,imo sounds like your good to go :thumbsup:

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
viciouspisces said:
i used 3 layers of fiberglass (way thicker in the corners tho) and 2 part epoxy and 1/2" acylic sheet for the front (maybe not thick enough).Where i messed up I think was i used a jigsaw w/ a broken hand and my wood was not 100% straight maybe.I dunno ,honestly ,I let myself get pressured to finish the dang thing and kinda got sloppy.Mine makes a nice pond ,but not what i wanted.Maybe Ill try professionally cut glass next time (wanting a 300g).If yours hasnt leaked after a few weeks ,imo sounds like your good to go :thumbsup:
Were you ever able to pinpoint the leak?
yea i hate when i get started on something and feel rushed to finish. i had my glass cut proffesionally and it wasnt to costly. all in all i only paid for the glass, epoxy and silicone. i already had everything else (wood i scrounged from work) so even if i do spring a leak it wont set me back too much.

viciouspisces

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2005
Kona ,Hawaii
islander671 said:
Were you ever able to pinpoint the leak?
yea i hate when i get started on something and feel rushed to finish. i had my glass cut proffesionally and it wasnt to costly. all in all i only paid for the glass, epoxy and silicone. i already had everything else (wood i scrounged from work) so even if i do spring a leak it wont set me back too much.
well kinda ,it was leaking from somewhere between the viewing panel and getting under the fiberglass and coming out in a corner of the tank .Id seal it off again (using marine silicone, fiberglass ) and then for some reason itd be fine till half full then a tiny leak would start in the corner.Had to be the pressure of the water was somehow causing a tiny shift in the viewing panel when Id fill .

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
viciouspisces said:
well kinda ,it was leaking from somewhere between the viewing panel and getting under the fiberglass and coming out in a corner of the tank .Id seal it off again (using marine silicone, fiberglass ) and then for some reason itd be fine till half full then a tiny leak would start in the corner.Had to be the pressure of the water was somehow causing a tiny shift in the viewing panel when Id fill .
hey i have an idea that im experimenting with right now on a 35 shallow long that im building. if it works out maybe you can try it on your next attempt. im just waiting on the silicon to dry so i can do a water test. :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store