Different way of using Pothos plant for Nitrate removal. Help needed...

Myarbro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Memphis TN
So I really haven’t done an in depth DIY project. I run HOB’s and Canisters on all my tanks. Last week though, I bought a Pothos plant to help with Nitrate reduction in my 120gallon. I placed some in the 2x Penguin 350’s (which I wanted to replace with 2 AC110’s but am leaning on an FX5 to join my 2x 405 canisters). I also bought some shower caddies with suctions cups, drilled holes in them, and placed more of the Pothos with some filter media in them and put them on the back of the tank. Also put 2x weak wave makers directed towards to caddies to get some more water flow to the roots.

Here are some pics of it…

So, I wanted to do something cleaner and less cluttered. I remembered coming across the following video a while back and really liked the idea at 4m45s.
[YT]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/magQpeXpMxQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YT]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=magQpeXpMxQ

So I am looking to do something similar. I want some kind of long tray, roughly 6’ x 5” x 5” to run long the back top of my tank. I would attach a pump to one end, bringing water into one end and then having a hole and pvc return back down into the tank on the opposite side. I would fill the tray with Pothos and some kind of ceramic media.

I am looking for some serious help with this. I have never done anything DIY for the most part so I have a lot of questions.

-What do you guys suggest I make the tray out of? Plexiglass? Glass? Metal?
-Best type of sealant to put it together with?
-Placement of pump in relevance to the tray and the aquarium.
-Estimated flow rate?
-Size of the return hole and pvc?

Would love everyones help on this. I will document and post pics as the project moves underway.

Myarbro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Memphis TN
burky_tc;4857642; said:
Why not use some of the plastic gutter you can buy at the big home improvement stores
That is an awesome idea, and probably a TON cheaper.

burky_tc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2010
Iowa
If you go this route let me know how the gutter works out. I have thought of using it for my indoor pond to grow the pothos in. Long as I get all the seams sealed with silicone I don't see why it would not work.

Myarbro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Memphis TN
I'll let you know how it goes.

I am most lost on what kind of pump to use, where to place it, and how big the wholes for in and out should be on the gutter thing though.

The hole where water comes in isn't that hard to figure out. The return hole is where I would get lost. Too big and the water will rush out too fast and the media and roots wont have enough coverage. Too small and it will over flow. I suppose I need help from the sump experts for this.

I also need to know if I should have the pump submerged and run a pipe up to the tray, or have the pump next to the tray on top of the aquarium and have the intake attached to a pipe that runs into the tank.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I feed a Pothos filled Refugium ( positioned on top of my sump ) from a Eheim cannister ( low flow ).

I have the bottom of the Refugium filled with lava rock ( in small gravel like pieces ) and the water ( coming from the Eheim ) has to travel all over this 1 metre long Refugium and shower down the other side.

The "other side " means a cut square in the bottom of the Refugium with a drilled rubber cover .

One thing I have learned is that you cannot use Photos with roots. They rot away.

You have to use cuttings and let them grow their own, new, roots, in the water.

Myarbro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Memphis TN
Miguel;4857860; said:
One thing I have learned is that you cannot use Photos with roots. They rot away.

You have to use cuttings and let them grow their own, new, roots, in the water.
Didn't know that. The roots seem fine after a little over a week. If I get this project underway, I will take trimmings from what I have. Thanks for the heads up.

Myarbro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Memphis TN
Was looking at a Eheim Compact 1000. Flow rate of 220-440gph. Not sure if that is too much or not.

Myarbro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Memphis TN
So this is the idea I have so far. I will have the pump and tray on a piece of wood. I will attach brackets on the inside of my homemade canopy (w no top). The wood pannel will sit on the brackets, making it sit about 4" from the top of the aquarium. The rest should be clear from the pic.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
with that design you need a small pump.

if you put gravel on that refugium you will slow the water flow.

In my refugium I have a little more than one inch of water in the water inflow and the depth then decreases gradually in the way to the water exit, wher it is real shallow.

Don't forget that the Pothos will benefit from light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store