Disappearing Fish

sjohnson696@yahoo.com

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2006
Newport News, VA
I am having a problem. I have three fish that have recently gone missing. There is no trace of my two clownfish that disappeared. The third fish, a banggai cardinal had half of his body laying under a rock. Any ideas what could have happened? They're there when I go to bed, but in the morning they have vanished.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
What else is in the tank? What sizes are you talking about? Check all your decorations you might find your clowns hiding. Or they may have been eaten.

sjohnson696@yahoo.com

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2006
Newport News, VA
I have several hermit crabs, a couple of snails, and two shrimp. I also have 1 other clownfish, 2 firefish, and 2 banggai cardinals. A blue damsel has also disappeared since I posted the first thread.

P3R3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
SC
Could the Shrimps be catching them?

I know some of those coral shrimps can destroy small fish.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
First make sure they are not hiding or in the filter or refugium, or on the floor, behind the tank, etc.
Second, what kind of shrimp do you have and is any live rock in the tank fairly new? A few shrimp are predaceous and live rock sometimes hides mantis shrimp and fireworms.
Third, what kind of hermits do you have? Several are night time predators that can kill and eat fish up to twice their own size, these include Red hairy or white spotted, starry eyed, white speckled, redstripe, polkadot, orange claw, and red reef hermits.
Last, Banggai cardinals are reported to sometimes become aggresively territorial against other cardinals, damsels, and even clowns, if they severely injure or kill a fish the scavangers can quickly make it disappear.

Mattcomptonassvanhorn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2005
Wichita,Ks
Huh, that is weird because clownfish are not usually fish that would disapear and hide for long periods of time. You probably have a rogue shrimp. I would suggest watching the tank for 20-30 minutes and check for any weird behavior. It also sounds like it could be poising too. I would suggest a 25% water change.

sjohnson696@yahoo.com

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2006
Newport News, VA
I have a cleaner shrimp and a camel shrimp. No, the fish are not outside of the tank, nor are they hiding. I moved everything. I got rid of my largest hermit crab and still have one more large one to take out.

yourmylunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2005
FL
the half cardinal you found if it looked sliced in half it could be a mantis shrimp

mantis shrimp
pistol shrimp
fire worms
some corals could catch and eat them
aptasia

set a trap amd see what u catch
liverock is full of fun stuff

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I have a cleaner shrimp and a camel shrimp. No, the fish are not outside of the tank, nor are they hiding. I moved everything. I got rid of my largest hermit crab and still have one more large one to take out.
What species were they?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store