Do African and South american cichlids can cross breed?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
most young aulonocara have stripes like that.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Most probably if were to be able to happen it would most probably be the same way they make rtc x tsn hybrids but the chances of them being able to breed naturally is very slim but then again who knows it be able to happen

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Well I believe that it does. It was definitely born in that tank and has always been in that cave with them
I'm a little late to this but may I ask some questions?

First, how long have you had both adult fish?
Next, which is female and which is male? Is the African female? Because if so I have a theory depending on the answer to these questions..

Assuming for a minute that the African is female and was a relatively new addition to the tank, it is possible she was holding the baby in her mouth when you got her. Just a possibility. :)

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Assuming for a minute that the African is female and was a relatively new addition to the tank, it is possible she was holding the baby in her mouth when you got her. Just a possibility. :)
This is a good possibility. I picked up a group of ps. Acei from a local store. When I got home, one of the bags was full of fry along with the mom.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Around 5 years ago I had a male convict and female mbuna breed together. The convict was extremely PO'ed at the mbuna for just "eating" the eggs, but regardless of her holding the eggs they never became fertile and she eventually did eat them. But yeah she did hold the eggs for a few days before just giving up and eating them.

I've seen other Africans cichlid try to cross breed with SA cichlids but never once seen any viable fry as a result. Personally I'd agree with most everyone else saying that they are just too genetically different to get the job done anymore. It could've been possible in the past but we will never know.

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

Joecuz69

Feeder Fish
Sep 3, 2024
I have 5 Frontosa and Texas cichlid hybrids, all the rest of them died half the eggs didn't even hatch

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store