expensive fish food vs cheap ones?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Look out for copper if you have invertebrates in your tank.
Another old wives tale that gets repeated on various online forums.

Copper is an essential trace element in all living things, and pretty much every commercial vitamin & mineral pre-mix in exsistence has a trace amount of copper in the formula. It may not be on the fish food label, but it's in there.

Many marine keepers foam at the mouth if copper is mentioned in food, yet not only does natural sea water contain copper, so do all of the commercial salt water mixes on the market. Oivay!

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
RD, your link is not functional. Perhaps you could fix that, I would really like to read the article.

FYI: I have 3 patents for fish food formulations, I earned my masters degree 10 years ago making fish feed for use in aquaculture, and testing it. When I graduated I sold the patents. I would be happy to debunk your statements either by PM or on the forum, if you'd like. There are some substantial errors in what you have attempted to correct me on.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Try this:
http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/200/the-benefits-of-fish-meal-in-aquaculture-diets

BTW - the only statement that I corrected you on, was this;
"Fish meal contains virtually no nutritional value other than processed proteins that are largely denatured and not utilizable to the fish."
I would expect that someone with your background would choose your wording a bit more carefully before stepping up on the anti fish meal soap box. If what you said was true, commercial fish farms would have been out of business a long time ago, as the #1 ingredient used for quick growth in the vast majority of all commercial farm feeds is none other than fish meal.

IrnGynt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Virginia
:popcorn:

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

As far as prepared foods, I feed my flowerhorn Grand Sumo (red and green) and Hikari Bio Gold (mainly for the probiotics and garlic).

He used to eat NLS Thera A+, but now he spits it out. Sometimes he spits out the GS green, but never the red or the Hikari. I don't get it and I'm open to suggestions.

I like the NLS, especially for the garlic content considering fh's seem to be suspectable to worms and Hex but it's became a battle for me to get my picky bastard to eat it.

I'm going to try my luck with the NLS cichlid formula.

knicks791

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2009
yonkers ny
Anal about fish food?

Try DIY fish food. All the ingredients are know and is cheaper and more natrual than most of these so call elite brands.

Then again, some might feed their fish lobster.

Err

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2009
Austin Texas
Im no fish food expert, but as a med student I have taken a nutrition class. And it was painfully obvious to me that when I picked up a 5 dollar jumbo bag of Hakari cichlid pellets and the ingredients included MSG, Fish/krill meal, wheat gluten, and a couple other preservatives/fillers I cant name atm and what 27-29% protien and 11% ash? vs the equivelent 20$ bag of Danichi or 14$ jar of NLS that had no MSG, and whole krill/spirulina/fish ect. +extra minerals/vitamins and 40%+ protien and only 7/9% ash that you do indeed get what you pay for. Sure a grilled tuna steak with steamed veggies and pasta cost more than a couple McDonalds Felet O' Fish but which do you think is better?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store