Expensive to Feed Fish

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Interesting responses. Where I live there's been a recently introduced European slug that appears not to eat vegetation and there's no shortage of them. I wonder if I can feed those revolting creatures to my fish(?)
I dont know about the particular variant youre talking about, but in general snails and slugs are notorious vectors for parasites and pathogens. Especially terrestrial variants.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Okay, I gotta ask...if these mystery slugs don't eat vegetation...what do they eat?

We had an infestation of slugs in the garden a few years back, and of course I tried them on my fish. Nobody was interested; some fish knew they didn't want to eat those slimy boogers just by looking at them; others had to taste one to realize that.

My Axolotl choked one down...apparently because he's just too dumb to even think of spitting out food!...and then favoured me with the kind of reproachful glare that only an Axolotl can manage...:)

Trouser Cough

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
It is a European Black Slug. I assume it would have a tough time turning down a tasty snack of rotting vegetation but the primary aspects I hear of locally are that it digs the taste of poop and will readily cannibalize its own kind. They've been introduced to the PacNW and eventually will be all over North America.

There are a lot of birds where I live and I've yet to see any of them sample one of these slugs. I'm guessing they may be a bit vile based on their preferred diet.

• Wow
Reactions: jjohnwm

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I've recently been ordering from kensfishfoods. Dirt cheap and pretty quality ingredients. I do suggest it to anyone who has been sinking way too much money into fish foods (like myself)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I've got a handful of fish that are big enough to put Thor's Hammer to a sack of store bought frozen shrimp. Gone within 90 seconds or so. I've been thinking about hitting up local Asian fish markets and maybe a seafood locker to see if I could get their outdated product at a discount if that's a thing.

What do you do to keep the feed bill from getting too far out of line?
A buddy of mine who used to import Asian aros (and keep some massive comm tanks) , would buy freeze dried krill directly from a wholesaler in the big city south of us. You might want to see if you can connect with a wholesale vendor, who you can buy in bulk from. Most will have a minimum quantity requirement, but if you have the means to store the product, that could potentially save you a bundle over time.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm old enough to remember when the only foods available were Hartz, Wardley & Tetra products. Somehow the hobby survived. Lol.
I also agree that quality ingredients are a big plus.
Me too. Also old enough to remember how things were made before the Walmarts of the world controlled the market with most everything. I still buy and wear American made work boots (Red Wing) vs the lower cost crap that stores like Walmart sell. Both will get the job done, but IMHO the former are a far better value over the long haul.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Red Wings are my go-to brand as well; the durability makes them by far the least expensive option. The comfort is a free bonus, but it's priceless when you are on your feet all day. They almost make you feel as though...I dunno...you get what you pay for? My personal favourite model is apparently no longer available in Canada, so I recently treated myself to a new pair while in N.Dakota; now retired, I no longer need to worry about the mandatory CSA green patch for work footwear :)

Now, here's a recommendation for bargain fish food that I have not tried myself: dried (or maybe freeze-dried, not sure which...) crickets, apparently available in bulk from feed stores and intended for chickens. Not really a "recommendation", actually, more of a request for info. Has anybody tried these for carnivore fish?

Last edited:
Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store