Extremely skittish Jack Dempsey

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I bought a Jack Dempsey 14 days ago and it's about 8 inches. I have yet to see it eat and whenever I walk into the room the JD goes ballistic and rams into the glass to hide.

It's in a 125 with a wolf fish who the JD actually tries to pick on, but gives up. They pretty much mind each other's business.

I've thrown in cichlid pellets, carnivore pellets, bloodworms, and krill but not sure if he's picking at remnants with the lights off or what but I've never seen it eat. I wasn't able to put it in a quarantine tank but I did dose the tank with prazi pro about 4 days ago.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Are there any caves of cover for it to hide it.
In nature JDs always stay close to cover, and often watch dither fish to determine the threat of danger (I realize with the wolf dithers are impossible).
Most JD predation in the wild comes from birds, so any sudden shadows will cause it to freak, so a place to retreat to and hide in may go a long way to get it to feel comfortable.
Below a video of JDs in Mexico.
027 zps4b102ffd
and another video showing their habitat.
Eden2

Last edited:

Kvandy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2018
Roseville, MI
If you have more than one tank you could try a different tank with different tank mates. I have a jd (4 inch) and when he’s in a 55 with “appropriate” tank makes hes skittish and hides and hardly eats. So I put him in a 90 with a way bigger Midas, Texas, and green terror and he competes for food and doesn’t hide and just does better. It’s weird and I can’t really explain why

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Large cichlids can be very tempermental about moving tanks. 2 weeks is not all that long, and it sounds like something is keeping him from feeling comfortable as well. How close do you watch them? Maybe the wolf is bullying the JD when you aren't watching?
Also would second Duanes' comment about cover- open, bright tanks usually freak out fish like the JD, which lives in cenotes in the wild full of rocks, overhanding foliage, and even large dark caves. I would recommend some floating plants to provide some shady areas, perhaps large driftwood the fish could hide under. Give it some time, if it does not come around it may need dithers to feel safe- and thus might not be a good match for the wolf fish tank.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Are there any caves of cover for it to hide it.
In nature JDs always stay close to cover, and often watch dither fish to determine the threat of danger (I realize with the wolf dithers are impossible).
Most JD predation in the wild comes from birds, so any sudden shadows will cause it to freak, so a place to retreat to and hide in may go a long way to get it to feel comfortable.
Below a video of JDs in Mexico.
027 zps4b102ffd
and another video showing their habitat.
Eden2
I've only seen these fish in aquariums but never in their natural habitats thanks for sharing.

I'll try to get some floating plants but I couldn't even keep duckweed alive in this tank. I do have a large PVC pipe and a clay cave in there and tons of plants which are helpful maybe I'll cut down on the lighting

Reactions: Jexnell

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
If you have more than one tank you could try a different tank with different tank mates. I have a jd (4 inch) and when he’s in a 55 with “appropriate” tank makes hes skittish and hides and hardly eats. So I put him in a 90 with a way bigger Midas, Texas, and green terror and he competes for food and doesn’t hide and just does better. It’s weird and I can’t really explain why
I don't have an extra tank at the moment for the JD.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Large cichlids can be very tempermental about moving tanks. 2 weeks is not all that long, and it sounds like something is keeping him from feeling comfortable as well. How close do you watch them? Maybe the wolf is bullying the JD when you aren't watching?
Also would second Duanes' comment about cover- open, bright tanks usually freak out fish like the JD, which lives in cenotes in the wild full of rocks, overhanding foliage, and even large dark caves. I would recommend some floating plants to provide some shady areas, perhaps large driftwood the fish could hide under. Give it some time, if it does not come around it may need dithers to feel safe- and thus might not be a good match for the wolf fish tank.
I've watched them for quite a bit(hours). Wolf fish has zero care for the JD. But the JD wants to pick on the wolf until the wolf holds it's ground.

I'm mainly concerned about the lack of eating. How long can it go without food roughly?

Several hiding spots and ample amount of plants.

The only thing that bugs the JD is me haha.

20181220_222551.jpg

Reactions: AKBlueJacks

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Nice fish. Is there any way that you can dim your light? I have had to cover some of my lights at times to help them feel more comfortable. They don’t seem to like a lot of light.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Nice fish. Is there any way that you can dim your light? I have had to cover some of my lights at times to help them feel more comfortable. They don’t seem to like a lot of light.
Not sure unless I get some floating plants. Doing a water change now and its not as skittish but still not eating. I only have the lights on for about 7 hours but maybe I'll try one or two days eithwit lights.

Main concern is it's not eating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store