Feeding Fire Eels

RyanScanner

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
Western Australia
As my fire eels grow what can I feed them safely. I’m aware of the risk thiaminase from raw shrimp and other frozen seafoods can cause with Vitamin B deficiency. They only eat bloodworms but their tank mates are getting too over fed from their leftovers and the cost is mounting.

I’ve started feeding them live earthworms, which they love, but I usually dose the blood worms with Vitachem and garlic extract. Are earthworms fine on their own? Is there anything else safe? Or am I being overly cautious?

Fire eels are extremely rare and expensive where I am.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I usually feed cut up earthworms to my one eel and stuff with pellets and soak in vitachem to help with supplementation. My m dayi takes pellets.

Reactions: RyanScanner

RyanScanner

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
Western Australia
I’ve only got my compost worms can’t stuff em. I can get them to take anything I want if I soak it in the same mix I soak the blood worms. But they definitely won’t eat pellets unless I starve them I’m guessing. How long can they go without food.

They are still small only 10”.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’ve only got my compost worms can’t stuff em. I can get them to take anything I want if I soak it in the same mix I soak the blood worms. But they definitely won’t eat pellets unless I starve them I’m guessing. How long can they go without food.

They are still small only 10”.
Not exactly sure. But I’ve got another eel that hasn’t eaten in 3-4 weeks now. Just severely stressed. Same size.

Reactions: RyanScanner

RyanScanner

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
Western Australia
Sorry to hear that. One of my tiger moray was the same then he just switched and now is ravenous.

So can they live indefinitely on earth worms healthily, without additional vitamins?

Compost worms are way cheaper than bloodworms there must be a downside.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store