Finger of Death!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Amazing! Never heard of that.

Speeding the thing up a few hundred times certainly adds to the drama of the video. The makers of this would have a bright future in political spin-doctoring. :)

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
For anyone curious about how this phenomenon works:

The "Finger of Death" refers to a natural occurrence called a brinicle, an underwater icicle formed when supercooled saline water is expelled from sea ice. As this denser, extremely cold brine sinks, it freezes the seawater around it, creating a tube-like structure that extends downward. Anything in its path, like sea life on the seafloor, can freeze as the brinicle advances.

The formation speed can vary based on factors like temperature, salinity, and water depth. Typically, a brinicle grows at a rate of a few centimeters to around 10 centimeters (4 inches) per minute, though local conditions in Antarctica can affect its exact speed.

EDIT: I copied this explanation from the net.

How do they get the sound effects of the finger growing?

Maybe it’s the actual sound of the water freezing, recorded with a highly sensitive microphone and then amplified through editing? It could also be possible that the editors used a different sound and layered it onto this particular clip or scene.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The sound is done like all the interesting little clicks and thuds and bumps and other sounds that are added to nature vids like this by artful editing. Caterpillars gnawing on a leaf are made to sound like grizzly bears ripping a moose to shreds. If it's done right, with restraint, it adds a dimension of interest to things that would otherwise be silent, at least to human ears. I like it!

I personally feel that they got a bit carried away with the sped-up action. Obviously they couldn't show this stuff at natural speed, but having starfish running around like cocaine-addled spiders and the brinicle descending upon them like a tornado touching down in Kansas was a bit much.

I guess nothing is considered amazing enough on its own merits today. Gotta spice it up!

"Finger of Death"?!?!? :headshake

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store