Fire Eel growth rate

Rogkid18

Feeder Fish
Sep 25, 2017
I just wanna share, I bought a fire eel about 3 months ago and he was around 6-7 inches. I was feeding him frozen blood works and krill the first 2 and a half months and he'd only eat a little bit at a time. 2 weeks ago I started buying night crawlers and OH MAN!!!! He has grown about 1-2 inches longer and easily DOUBLED in girth IN ONLY 2 WEEKS!!!! I wish i would have made a video cause it's totally mind boggling that he's grown so fast over the last 2 weeks!
I feed him 2 night crawlers twice a day and feed my other fish krill which he tends to still eat even after he's had 2 crawlers.
He's a solid 8-9inches now and thick! He's pretty active and let's you know when. It's feeding time by coming up to the top of the tank!
He's in a 110g right now but will probably be moving into my 180g soon.

Rogkid18

Feeder Fish
Sep 25, 2017
I just wanna share, I bought a fire eel about 3 months ago and he was around 6-7 inches. I was feeding him frozen blood works and krill the first 2 and a half months and he'd only eat a little bit at a time. 2 weeks ago I started buying night crawlers and OH MAN!!!! He has grown about 1-2 inches longer and easily DOUBLED in girth IN ONLY 2 WEEKS!!!! I wish i would have made a video cause it's totally mind boggling that he's grown so fast over the last 2 weeks!
I feed him 2 night crawlers twice a day and feed my other fish krill which he tends to still eat even after he's had 2 crawlers.
He's a solid 8-9inches now and thick! He's pretty active and let's you know when. It's feeding time by coming up to the top of the tank!
He's in a 110g right now but will probably be moving into my 180g soon.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Yes, get some decent size food in to them and they can really grow. Mine was being fed live river shrimp only by the previous owner (150 per week) he is nearly 2 feet long but already I have got him on big worms, big prawns, whole fish, mussel etc and already he is growing fast and putting on huge girth to the point he cannot fit in holes that he could get in 3 weeks ago.

Reactions: eddiegunks

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
My Mum came round yesterday and without any prompting said "has that Eel grown in just a couple of weeks?" My daughter was hand feeding him at the time.

My Ray has now had to start pouncing on food just to get her share.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
My Mum came round yesterday and without any prompting said "has that Eel grown in just a couple of weeks?" My daughter was hand feeding him at the time.

My Ray has now had to start pouncing on food just to get her share.
Oh yes, they will be pigs and make it hard to get other fish fed. Fortunately for me, I feed my other fish pellets, which my eels won't touch. It has really helped me make sure I get everyone fed well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store