Firemouth Shoal or Cichlid Mix?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe the reason you hardly ever see full size FMs is that in nature, these fish come from pristine waters with near zero nitrate.
Especially those from and near Cenotes in the Yucatan where they are live in constant 100% water change, as water from aquifers below ground constantly wells up.
At aquarists house in Chicago I saw a male FM that was almost 12", it was in a @ 450 gal tank, on an auto water change system.
I believe in tanks where nitrates are allowed to crawl in the 20ppm range, there is a slowed, almost stunted growth rate on some cichlid species originating from pristine waters.
Same goes for JDs, in a aquaria you hardly ever see full grown adults.
The ones below I filmed in a Cenote in the Yucatan were easily 10".
027 zps4b102ffd

Xnhx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2022
I believe the reason you hardly ever see full size FMs is that in nature, these fish come from pristine waters with near zero nitrate.
Especially those from and near Cenotes in the Yucatan where they are live in constant 100% water change, as water from aquifers below ground constantly wells up.
At aquarists house in Chicago I saw a male FM that was almost 12", it was in a @ 450 gal tank, on an auto water change system.
I believe in tanks where nitrates are allowed to crawl in the 20ppm range, there is a slowed, almost stunted growth rate on some cichlid species originating from pristine waters.
Same goes for JDs, in a aquaria you hardly ever see full grown adults.
The ones below I filmed in a Cenote in the Yucatan were easily 10".
027 zps4b102ffd
I never knew that. Always heard that was their normal size. Looks like I'll be doing extra to maintain really low nitrites. I have a habit of letting them creep up. But a bigger tank, filter, and more plants should help (on tol of regular maintenence of course)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am currently in the process of setting up a 75 gallon as an upgrade from my 55 gallon. I have 1 adult male firemouth, 5 tiger barbs, and 6 rainbowfish as well. I may leave the schooling fish in the 55 but they are honestly all some of the most docile fish, even the tiger barbs, so who knows. My question is whether I should add 3-4 more FMs in the 75 or to add 1-2 different CA/SA cichlids in with him. I've been looking at blue acara and severums but im really not sure whether to add more FMs or a mix. Any input is appreciated.
Welcome aboard

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store