First Planted Tank

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Hi All,

This was a total experiment that turned into my healthiest tank ha.. Bought this tank to house some mosquitofish we found in a bait bucket. They moved out so I decided to give a planted tank a shot. Been through a handful of scapes, shrimp etc to get it right but it flourishing now. No water changes needed, I do just replace minerals every month or two. Nitrates stay below 5 with no spikes ever. Top it off all the time. I actually te\sted it so much I thought I was doing something wong the parameters are so stable lmao.. In there is a tiny sponge filter, some slate tile, sand and fluval soil. Went with Amazon Sword / Staurogyne Repens / Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata / Red Root Floaters / Duckweed and of course Pothos. I copied and pasted those names, really have no idea haha went with easy plants according to google ha. I had about 12 shrimp red and yellow but the beta decided to eat the red ones, not the yellow ones idk. Cant see them maybe? There is about 6 of them in there. 10 Ember Tetras & and Black Beta. Also a crap load of snails which seem to stay under crontrol with Beta buddy. Any-way, pics below. Feedback welcome.

20241019_100955.jpg
20241019_101107.jpg
20241019_101057.jpg
20241019_101039.jpg20240926_051711.jpg20241019_101005.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi All,

This was a total experiment that turned into my healthiest tank ha.. Bought this tank to house some mosquitofish we found in a bait bucket. They moved out so I decided to give a planted tank a shot. Been through a handful of scapes, shrimp etc to get it right but it flourishing now. No water changes needed, I do just replace minerals every month or two. Nitrates stay below 5 with no spikes ever. Top it off all the time. I actually te\sted it so much I thought I was doing something wong the parameters are so stable lmao.. In there is a tiny sponge filter, some slate tile, sand and fluval soil. Went with Amazon Sword / Staurogyne Repens / Dwarf Sagittaria Subulata / Red Root Floaters / Duckweed and of course Pothos. I copied and pasted those names, really have no idea haha went with easy plants according to google ha. I had about 12 shrimp red and yellow but the beta decided to eat the red ones, not the yellow ones idk. Cant see them maybe? There is about 6 of them in there. 10 Ember Tetras & and Black Beta. Also a crap load of snails which seem to stay under crontrol with Beta buddy. Any-way, pics below. Feedback welcome.

View attachment 1550942
View attachment 1550946
View attachment 1550945
View attachment 1550944View attachment 1550941View attachment 1550943
Very nice aquascape and stock. I'm still new when it comes to p plants but getting better. Anubias and Java fern has been doing the best for me.

• Love
Reactions: shelbybmc

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Looks really nice!
I have noticed in my tanks certain colors are more likely to get picked off. I think it depends on the scaping and which ones blend in better.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Very nice aquascape and stock. I'm still new when it comes to p plants but getting better. Anubias and Java fern has been doing the best for me.
Thank you!! I just chose a few from the beginner plants on Modern Aquaria and just followed some youtube guides. I did use root tabs once as well. I have an empty 55, i wanna try it on a larger scale next :)

Looks really nice!
I have noticed in my tanks certain colors are more likely to get picked off. I think it depends on the scaping and which ones blend in better.
Yeah he had somethin for those red guys haha, the yellows are tougher to see and blend better with the plants. I also have some leaves in there, waters a little tan which helps. I bought the Beta for snail control but he had other ideas. May add 1 assassin snail see if it helps a bit more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store