Fish Taxidermy

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
LBathory;1901830; said:
it looks painted too.
Generally things that have been painted do look that way...

I think nicely done taxidermy specimens are pretty cool. That FH isn't bad, I've seen much worse, but also better. I guess it's a matter of taste. Growing up in an area where tons of people hunt, I'm used to seeing animals hung all over walls and appreciate nicely done ones.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
lfs here has a few stuffed fishies. I believe one is a red belly pirahana. My cousin and i once for shiggles tried to stuff a bass he caught....it didnt work out to well it think we skipped a step or two

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I used to have one of those souvenir piranhas, but unless I'm pickling a dead fish in some alcohol or something I wouldn't try preserving a fish myself

clownknifeokc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2008
Oklahoma city, Oklahoma
I would love to have my clown knife taxidermied when he passes, he's so beatiful,however I don't know the specifics of taxidermy (preservation of the body beforehand, etc.) my parents on the otherhand, not so good on the eyes.

mr_cool_guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2008
Florida
I had a collection about 6 years ago. There was two saltwater puffers 6" and 10", a placo 12" and a rb piranha 10". My aunt got them from south america, she was a flight attendent at the time and flew there alot. I sold them though, kinda wish I hadent now lol.

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
clownknifeokc;2572746; said:
I would love to have my clown knife taxidermied when he passes, he's so beatiful,however I don't know the specifics of taxidermy (preservation of the body beforehand, etc.) my parents on the otherhand, not so good on the eyes.
I don't think a knife would be a good candidate for taxidermy; you would actually have to tan its hide, then stuff and paint it; this is how amphibians are taxidermied, and I have seen few stuffed amphibians that look good.

Fish with sturdy scaled skins are the best for taxidermy; as Beblondie noted, gar and similar heavy-scaled fish are very easy; I imagine armored catfish would fall in that group too. Cichlids should be moderately easy. Fish with fine or easily shed scales, like goldfish, would be more of a problem. Gamefish with these qualities, such as salmonids and billfish, are usually not taxidermied because of this; a fiberglass or urethane replica is used instead (or fiberglass body with the real fish's head). Taxidermy suppliers carry a wide variety of blanks for the popular game species, but not for aquarium fish.

Freeze-drying is a popular way to preserve smaller or more delicate fish. Many taxidermists have a freeze-drier.

As an alternative, you could make a mold with your fish and cast it in resin or urethane foam, then paint the cast. Mold-making takes a bit of practice, so if you want to do this you should try a few objects before you go to work on your beloved fish's body.

Another option is 'gotaku'. This is a popular craft/trophy project in Japan; the dead fish is painted with lifelike colors, then rolled onto a piece of paper to make an accurate color print.

Just some suggestions. I personally have no problem with having a pet taxidermied, but I work in a zoological museum, so I may be a bit jaded.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store