Fishless Cycle with Ammonia AND Stability?

Rob Martin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hello all,

First post here! My name is Rob, I'm located in North Bay, Ontario, Canada. I was into fish for many years, been out of it for maybe 5 years now, but am getting back into it all with a 135 gallon tank that I am currently cycling.

I've decided to go with the "fishless cycle" method using pure ammonia. My LFS owner sold me some stability swearing I could use it and just chuck fish in right from the get go. Assuming this product must be like the "Bio-Spira" I've read about, I thought that was great. I did some research on Stability and from what I've read, I understand that it is NOT anything like Bio-Spira but that it will speed up a cycling process significantly. Since we can't get Bio-Spira in Canada, I thought what the heck! I'm going to try the fishless cycle with ammonia AND add the stability to see if it speeds up the process.

Anybody here done this before with the use of both bottled ammonia and Stability?

Today I put 10mls of ammonia into my tank. After waiting 45 mins, I tested the water and it read 4ppm. I figured that was high enough, so I then added 12 capfuls of the Stability. Will test my water tomorrow and see what is happening then.... :D

fenton06

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2009
Ankeny, IA
yep, Stability is awesome. I did dump my fish in and have had no problems whatsoever, but that's because I already had them. I would definitely do the fishless cycle though if I had an extra tank I was setting up.

velanarris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
Nashua NH
Bacteria in a bottle are usually already dead, and the bottle is full of ammonia. Go fishless if you don't have any fish in the tank yet, sans stability.

ward1066

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2009
kansas
velanarris;3071925; said:
Bacteria in a bottle are usually already dead, and the bottle is full of ammonia. Go fishless if you don't have any fish in the tank yet, sans stability.
:screwy::WTF: ???

Rob Martin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Right on, thanks guys! Can't wait to put some fish in this sucker. Until I do, and once the cycle is complete and I'm awaiting the fish I want, how much ammonia should I be adding just to "keep it cycled" until the fish arrive?

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
my tank is cycling really slow, despite a week of stability dosing. I have a biowheel and live plants, plus i even dropped my old biowheel from my established tank in to spread the good bio, but the ammonia is stubborn. its been about 2 weeks that its been cycling and ammonia is just now dropping to .75 ppm ...... IM SO IMPATIENT!

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
velanarris;3071925; said:
Seriously :banhim:

They are spores in a suspended state. Believe me seachem does not make any money by selling people ammonia in a bottle. It is clear you have no experience and have not tested or used the product "Stability" Stick with what you know please.

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
yea seachem puts out some awesome products! thats why i gave stability a shot ....... that and it was 2.50 for a 4 oz. bottle on clearance :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store