Fixtures won't work with python

cannedham

Feeder Fish
Sep 18, 2024
So my faucets won't work with the python (some newer faucets don't have threaded fittings to attach it to).
Has anyone come up with a unique way to do water changes outside of lugging buckets?

My thought is to have a submersible pump with tubing to move water in and out for weekly/bi-weekly WCs. The awkward part of this solution is that the bathtub would be the reservoir I'd fill (temp match tank and treat for chlorine) before pumping back to the tank.

Does anyone see holes in this Mcgeever'd plan?? I just really don't want the maintenance part to be my reason for not pulling the trigger.

troublesum

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
My last Python i bought like 10 years ago (best $60 spent. 10 years strong) came with a few different threaded fittings some have the treads on the inside of the fitting.
Maybe try your outside faucet if your hose is long enough

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Python also makes a universal adapter that slides over your existing faucet and clamps in place. Here is a link to what it looks like Python universal faucet adapter though you can get them at other places than the link.

It won't work with spray head type faucets or other fancy ones.

Reactions: kno4te and HUKIT

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
You could goto your local hardware store and see if they have an adapter. From standard waterhose to what ever your faucet is. As mentioned the new ones come with an adaptor that has both new and old type threads( outside and inside) just have to remove the white gasket/ o-ring and it exposes the inside type of threads.

images-4.jpeg

You can see the white o-ring/gasket. Take that out and you will find the inside type of threads.

Not my pic thank Google

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I had the same issue. I use a transfer pump right near the sink I pump the water to in the kitchen. Over time I found a more rigid hose works best with this method.
Pretty much have perfected my method over time. Really helps suck debris when vacuuming the gravel. Much quicker than gravity. The key is to prime the hose and pump. It's easy. I just hold the end of the hose tightly to the faucet with the other end submerged in the tank or sump.
Amazon.com: DAVCO 3/4" ID x 10ft Clear Vinyl Tubing, Low Pressure Flexible PVC Tubing, Heavy Duty UV Chemical Resistant Lightweight Plastic Vinyl Hose, BPA Free and Non Toxic : Industrial & Scientific
SumpMarine Water Transfer Pump, 115V 330 Gallon Per Hour - Portable Electric Utility Pump with 6' Water Hose Kit - To Remove Water From Garden, Hot Tub, Rain Barrel, Pool, Ponds, Aquariums, and More - Amazon.com

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
BTW - the "adapters" never worked for me. Waterfall faucets and kich faucet too large.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Another way to look at it. If you have no faucets that work. If you have a laundry room you could get a sink installed there. Don't have to be super fancy unless you want it to be and run the Python in there.
images-6.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey and AR1

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com