Fluval Biomax or Seachem Matrix

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It's really just up to preference. Both work fine. I've never used Seachem Matrix before, but Fluval Biomax has been working for me for many many years now.

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
I use matrix very reliable and easy on the pocket too :D

m1ste2tea

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
Syracuse, NY
seachem matrix is great for canister filters. It is very effective, I bought a 4 liter bucket and it has spread a long way. I highly recommend it.

I also have been told that scrubbies are not that good for canister filters, they are only effective in wet/dry applications such as under dripping water in a sump filtration system.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
I would put some carbon and Matrix in there. You can put as much carbon as needed -- I would put more in if you tend to feed shrimps and tilapia and other meaty foods so your water won't smell.

Matrix is a much better bargain than BioMax. (Get Pond Matrix instead of regular Matrix for an even better bargain.) I bought a 4 Liter bucket of Pond Matrix for just $30 online. Each box of biomax is 17 oz. for about $11-$12 each and 2 of those boxes equals roughly 1 liter. So each liter of Biomax is about $23. Times that by 4 and it's $92 for the same volume of Pond Matrix that you can buy for $30! Plus, I've read that Matrix has more surface area than biomax. So for much better value and better surface area, get Pond Matrix instead.

oscar and arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2010
new jersey
I ended up buying the biomax since i felt that matrix would get clogged up far to easy. I dont use any carbon in my fx5 or eheim since i dont want to be held to a set maintence schedule. If i want to use carbon i will just put on a spare h.o.b filter i have. thanks guys. Also, i bought it on petsolutions.com 9.99 per box plus free shipping. Very good deal for future shopping.
Dear MOd,
Dont erase my post again!

CClump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Seattle
not sure how you would think matrix would get clogged? they are like river pebbles
Matrix is my choice for all current and future bio applications (although the eheim substrat pro is prettty nice too if you get some with one of their cans).

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
My bottom baskets have the Eheim efimech noodles. My middle baskets have Eheim efi substrate for my bio

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store