Fluval FX5 pump problems....

hawkerw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2012
Montana
I think the Hagen HOB's are without a doubt the best of there type. As for my canisters if I was starting today I would not have a single canister I have today

scarysdad

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2005
Scotland,UK
I am running the FX5 plus and Eheim 2217(9 years no issues) and an Aquavital 1200 on the 255....when this problem arose I emailed Hagen the reply I got back was that "one of the motor windings had failed and I would need a new motor unit" so thank goodness for forums like these.......

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
:iagree:

I have both filters on different tanks and ZERO issues. The OP has been running his for 5 yrs and just started to have a small issue. That to me falls within an acceptable amount of time for some small wear and tear with an impeller replacement and what not. After all these things are going 24/7, year after year, you will have to replace a part eventually... Even my Eheim canister needed an impeller recently, yep thats right it did not last forever either!
Agree and as I said mines in its seventh year. Only thing I need to replace are 4 of the fasteners as the red plastic tube for the screw have snapped on these-mind you I looked and they're expensive to replace:(

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
LOL. OK I agree aquaclears are good filters. Now for the FX5 I seriously have to disagree. If you google or search this site for FX5 issues you will find tons of problems. Way too much compared to lets say an aquaclear or eheim classic canister. Micro bubbles, leaks, will not start, having to do major cleanings to get it working. You may not have any issues, but many other people do.

I love Hagen and Marineland, but they have been making their products cheaper over the past decade for cost savings and we the customers have to suffer. This is my issue with these companies. Their older products were much better which I have and still are running strong well over 10 years.

Lol. Very wrong. Hagen is a great company, the aquaclear series are bulletproof and so are the fx5

Go S.Vettel #1 RB8 3X WDC!!!!!!!!!

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

cambo01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
chesterfield uk
There are way too many threads with FX5 issues. Leaking, stopping, micro-bubbles and many more, but yet so many people swear by them and recommend them. Fluval have gone downhill just like Marineland. All they are concerned with is profit and thus their products and customers suffer. I would stay away from both manufacturers.
Totally disagree, the fx5 is recommended by so many people here due to its reliability

I wouldn't use anything else on my tanks mine have been faultless

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
What about all of the issues many other users reported? Are we going to just pretend like they have never happened?

Totally disagree, the fx5 is recommended by so many people here due to its reliability

I wouldn't use anything else on my tanks mine have been faultless

13razorbackfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
I honestly think the design of the pump is too good for this filter with the amount of torque it is capable of producing with little to no slippage. That is why it will blow microbubbles when clogged versus other impeller and pump designs that will just struggle to turn as the magnet slips. The would have been better off IMHO if they made it a simple bottom up flow using the entire diameter of the canister for media like most other canister filters. You might still get microbubbles but you would at least get twice as long or more to run it without them showing up once media starts to clog. It is a very strong pump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store