FX5 flow direction?

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Hi, I am planning to buy an FX5 for my 70 gallon tank.

Just wonder how does the water flow in the canister. like in what series would water from the inlet pass though each baskets until the outlet.

I would like to fill it with
-Prefilter & carbon
-Eheim substrat pro
-Eheim substrat pro

I would like the prefilter & carbon to be the first so that the purest water would pass through the bio-media

Also how much eheim substrat pro would I need to fill up 2 baskets?
Thanks

EVAN YUNCK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2009
ALBANY NY
FLOW IS KINDA HARD TO EXPLAIN BUT ILL TRY,FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE CAN UP THROUGH THE FOAM( THERE IS NO REASON TO USE A PREFILTER MEDIA WITH THE FX5) THEN DOWN THE CENTER OF THE BASKETS THROUGH THE MEDIA THEN BACK IN THE TANK THROUGH TH BOTTOM OF THE FILTER. MINE IS SET UP LIKE THIS, TOP:BLUE FX5 PAD ON TOP OF CARBON,MID. BASKET: POLISHING PAD ON TOP OF BIO MEDIA(I THINK BIOGLASS OR SOMTHING SIMALAR), BOTTOM BASKET; BIOMEDIA. AGAIN DONT WASTE THE SPACE OR YOUR MONEY ON A MECANICAL TYPE MEDIA AS THE FOAM TRAPS THE MAJORITY OF THE PARTICALS. WHEN I DO THE MAINTENANCE ON IT THE BIO MEDIA IS SPOTLESS.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
So basically the flow is

Inlet -> foams -> Top basket -> Middle basket -> Bottom basket -> Outlet

Am I right?

Also how much eheim substrate pro would I need to fill all 3 baskets?

Burto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Blue Mountains, N.S.W., Australia
Yep, that's the flow path as I understand it.
Each basket can hold about 2 litres of media. Not sure if Eheim substrate pro is sold by weight or by volume but you'd want about 6 litres, maybe 3 kilograms worth, to fill the baskets to capacity.
I would personally consider an FX5 to be extremely excessive on a 70G by the way. :p

silent1mezzo

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Burlington
Burto;4710601; said:
I would personally consider an FX5 to be extremely excessive on a 70G by the way. :p
I have one on my 46G :D

Not sure on the amount, I can check when I get home but you can fit a fair amount.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Burto;4710601; said:
I personally would like an overkill for my filtration. Sick of watching poop just flow by the intake of my current canister and the weak output which can't even keep the poop in the water column until it reaches the intake :irked:

Burto;4710601; said:
Not sure if Eheim substrate pro is sold by weight or by volume but you'd want about 6 litres, maybe 3 kilograms worth, to fill the baskets to capacity.
Thanks mate, did a little research. They sell by volume, in 250ml, 1L, 2L and 5L. Would get 3 bags of 2L or 1 bag of 1L and 5L, whichever is cheaper. =D

kkwa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2010
San Francisco
I run 2 FX5's on my 240 and don't run anything except Biomax and a bag of purigen in each filter. It took me 4 boxes of 500 gram biomax to fill all 3 baskets up to about 60% of each basket. I was told not to fill them up completely as it restricts flow but so far so good. Flow is amazingly strong and after cleaning them I notice barely any gunk on the top basket of rings. The pads catch majority of the gunk.

Can't ever have enough filtration. Overkill or not you can just adjust the flow rate if your worried about that. I myself am picking up another 2 FX5's for a total of 4 running on a 240 :)

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Hagen uses flow valves which are to be used to control how much flow you want the filter to flow and to shut off the flow completely.

I have my Fx5 on a 55 Gallon.

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
5.2 liters of substrat pro for a FX5. The baskets hold 5.9 liters but you can't fill them higher then 3/4" from the top.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Thanks mate! Also I heard pond matrix is cheaper and better than Eheim substrate pro, Is that true? Anybody with expierence using those?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store