FX5 flow direction?

Akabir47

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Home of the brave.
Spiritofthesoul;4715355; said:
Thanks mate! Also I heard pond matrix is cheaper and better than Eheim substrate pro, Is that true? Anybody with expierence using those?
I use a combo of pond matrix, bio max, and sub pro in all three baskets. The pond matrix is best bang for buck!

aclockworkorange

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Pond matrix is cheaper, but I believe it has less surface area. An FX5 full of it is probably sufficient for most tanks though. I have an fx5 full of substrat pro, but if I buy another I'll probably go the pond matrix route for cost.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Ok thanks, gonna take a look at some LFS to find pond matrix :)

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
hey aclockworkorange, I took a look at my LFS. Guess what? They do have pond matrix =D. WOOHOO no need to order online.

BTW i was a fool. I didn't pick the pond matrix but went for de*nitrate, which is smaller than pond matrix. FML! the substrate just fall to the bottom of the FX5 when i pour them in. So now I got 2 choice, Either use a filter bag or a filter wool.. Im opting for filter bag, what are your suggustions?

PS here is the pic of the de*nitrate

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Or i could try taking them back to the store and exchange for 2 Matrix since they are the same price. The Boss is quite friendly.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Ok i brought 2 of those laundry bags for $1 each. Poured 1 bottle of Seachem de*nitrater into each bags and place them in different media baskets in my FX5.

So my current setup is

Top - Ceramic rings
Middle - de*nitrater
Bottom - de*nitrater

I know the de*nitrater state that the optimum flowrate should be about 50LPH for anaerobic bacteria to live and clearly the FX5 flows at MUCH faster rate.

I was wondering, could they still be use to host aerobic bacteria for ammonia and nitrite breakdown?

Burto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Blue Mountains, N.S.W., Australia
Spiritofthesoul;4729857; said:
I was wondering, could they still be use to host aerobic bacteria for ammonia and nitrite breakdown?
Yes, absolutely. Probably just as well as matrix, possibly better.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Thanks I was wondering

Would replacing the large ceramic rings at the top basket with another bottle of seachem de*nitrater be advisable?

Geoey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2009
Darwin,Australia
be care full with the fx5 as it has a very strong negative pressure if you put too much fine filtering type media in it you will end up with it sucking air and a tank full of micro bubbles

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store