Fx6 low flow

Noseric

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2019
Please help I got my fx6 filter second hand with my tank and it was working fine for first 3 weeks then I noticed flow rate was really down, Iv Google’s it loads but can’t get any answers, Iv done the obvious things check for blockages clean out filter ( want very dirty at all) also cleaned impeller and got a new impeller. I did notice that after fitting new impeller it had possibley slightly more power but was running quietly again and now after a few days the filters rarther noises. If any 1 knows what it could be I’d be so happy, I’m fed up taking it apart now and getting no ware!! Thanks

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
It sounds as if there is air getting into the filter, possibly through the intake connection where it connects to the strainer piping if that connection isn't under water.

Do you have any loops in the hoses or do they droop between the top of the filter and the aquarium rim?

Reactions: jaws7777

Noseric

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2019
It sounds as if there is air getting into the filter, possibly through the intake connection where it connects to the strainer piping if that connection isn't under water.

Do you have any loops in the hoses or do they droop between the top of the filter and the aquarium rim?

The intakes sat on the bottom of my tank and the pipes are fairly direct

Noseric

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2019
The intakes sat on the bottom of my tank and the pipes are fairly direct
It’s barely working at all today, humming more than anything, I don’t know what to do next or do I need to bite the bullet and just buy another

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Is the rubber connector between the hose and the intake piping at the rim of the tank also underwater?

Once you make 5 posts you should be able to show some pics of how the the intake fits on the aquarium rim as well as where the filter is located and how the hoses reach the aquarium rim.

Some other things to consider is what media you are using in the filter such as fine filter pads, filter floss, etc. or if you have a sponge pre-filter on the intake strainer.

Noseric

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2019
Is the rubber connector between the hose and the intake piping at the rim of the tank also underwater?

Once you make 5 posts you should be able to show some pics of how the the intake fits on the aquarium rim as well as where the filter is located and how the hoses reach the aquarium rim.

Some other things to consider is what media you are using in the filter such as fine filter pads, filter floss, etc. or if you have a sponge pre-filter on the intake strainer.
Hoses literally go from in the cupboard on filter strait up into tank, if they were any smaller I’d need new hoses.

I’ve taken it all apart again and put bk together and 1 thing I found was impeller could be clicked down slightly, all bk together now and it’s running quiet again which it always seems to do for a day after taking it apart but i do seem to have a little more power again hopefully this is all it was,

Thanks for your responses, I feel I know the fx6 filter as well as any1 the amount of research and messing around with it Iv had to do

Noseric

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2019
Right so my fx6 is still working all be it not full power and it’s got really noises again!! I’m guessing it’s taking in air somewhere but how do I find out ware? It’s not ends of pipes all bits are under water including joins

Thanks

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Sorry to hear you are still having problems with the filter. Can you take & post some pics of how the filter looks under the stand and how the hoses run up to the tank rim?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store