Garra rufa at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Some interesting input from a peer from Singapore:

Kevin-hx2ky Man i wish ruffas were easier to find here. I've been planning to find some hardscape for them to hide in for the koi pond, but it seems no easier than to find the fish. Most of the "spa fish" here seem to be Osteochilus hasselti, which don't stick to things

Fish-Story Is the bonylip barb as efficient at pedicure as the doctor fish?

Kevin-hx2ky I can't say as I've never experienced such service from them. I can expect them to be less pleasant though, since they need to rip out more algae per bite as they can't graze properly on hardscape

Fish-Story Still interesting and good to know. Before, I'd guess only true grazers could be employed in this fashion.

Kevin-hx2ky I've went to a fish spa that used cichlids. It was a series of quite startling bites and jumping out of the water when the larger cichlids drew near lol

Fish-Story It sounds more traumatic than relaxing and enjoyable.

Kevin-hx2ky You get used to it. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be video proof of Osteochilus spas either. They're just red hybrid tilapias

Fish-Story Are you saying the Osteochilus hasselti are NOT used in the spas in Singapore(?) despite claims (?) but some cichlids and likely of the tilapia kind?

Kevin-hx2ky Oh i'm just saying that youtube seems to not have any videos on them, but i've definitely seen many cases of Osteochilus (a lot of them leucistic) being sold as "Therapy Fish". I've even seen them in a footbath, where the venue advertised them as Garra ruffa. When i tried searching "Osteochilus therapy fish" they just show cichlids including those red hybrid tilapia that are so prevalent here

Fish-Story Gotcha. Very interesting to know this from your location and experience. I appreciate it!

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store