Geophagus ID

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Forgot about brachybranchus,don't they have black under the chin as well as the cheek stripe?
The lack of barring could also point to brachybranchus though.

Reactions: NHKG

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Forgot about brachybranchus,don't they have black under the chin as well as the cheek stripe?
The lack of barring could also point to brachybranchus though.
In a couple of the shots I thought it appeared the black might wrap under the chin, but it's a side angle, so I'm kind of extrapolating from what I see. I haven't owned brachybranchus personally, but when I've seen them it's seemed to me it can lighten and darken according to mood or vary with individual fish, similar to Zaire gibberosa, which can also display black under the chin. But like I say, I'm not 100% confident distinguishing between some of the cheek marked geos, especially in photos.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Still a side view, but looks like the black wraps under the cheek to me, can even see it in the lower lip. Is this what you see in person? Adult brachys can have some nice finnage, and like I said the black markings on cheek and throat can vary from what I've seen, being prominent at times and almost disappearing other times (or in certain individuals in a group). Also, I've seen some with black along the lower edge of the pelvic and anal fins in some moods. They should turn out to be really nice fish.

I've seen brachys called 'black throat suriname geos' in some places, just part of the thing where some people don't distinguish between them beyond calling them suriname, brasiliensis, red humps, and jurapari.

Reactions: NHKG
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store