'Geophagus' sp. "Red Bahia"

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
:) That fish is gorgeous! The lips and shape look a bit different but that's just my opinion. !!!
Too bad there isn't more info about this group of fish. If you Google brasiliensis images, its easy to see the subtle differences between all the convoluted aquarium strains. Crazy! Body structure especially! Drastic differences in some cases.
It would be great to go back over the species and sort all that carelessness out, but that will likely never happen. It's funny how when science and technology becomes more refined, things that never mattered in the past become so significant in the future. Convicts come to mind(been reading a lot about those lately).
If you're serious about getting some, I'll syphon these fry right now just for you:DLmk

Nuchal Hump or not Im sold on these. They are simply breath taking!!! Im going to have to set up a tank for these. Thanks for showing these man:) I found this video on you tube do you think its the same variant or another? It says Geophagus Brasilienses but it has the reds on the fins your fish posses. If so I want them even more so.

[YT]NRzSLLCMR1c[/YT]

Sent from my LG-MS910 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Great looking specimens, Ed. Kept some "Bahia Reds" years ago, IME they are nothing like a true geophagus and like the rest of the Geophagus' brasiliensis complex down the road they will most likely be split into their own distinct genera. My dom male was a nasty piece of work, even at 4-5".

IMO Jeff's appear faded out due to the bright tank environment they were in when the photos were taken, mine looked exactly like Ed's. Also, males can easily top out at a thick 10+" in TL, and some older dom males will form nuchal humps. (typically not massive ones)

If you Google brasiliensis images, its easy to see the subtle differences between all the convoluted aquarium strains. Crazy! Body structure especially! Drastic differences in some cases.
It would be great to go back over the species and sort all that carelessness out, but that will likely never happen. It's funny how when science and technology becomes more refined, things that never mattered in the past become so significant in the future. Convicts come to mind(been reading a lot about those lately).
Gee, where have a read that recently? ;)

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
Thanks RD, this guy's my pride and joy! :)
It's comforting to hear that the ones you used to keep had the same look as mine but I still have a sneaking suspicion that there are more than one brasiliensis variant in the hobby being called the 'bahia red'.
Here are some more examples of the more distinctly 'red' variety:
uploadfromtaptalk1337549186830.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1337549211509.jpg
The body is more of a bronze than grey and the scales appear more green than blue. Not that it matters to me much on a personal level (I find mine way more appealing) but I'm really curious as to if/when/how this mix-up took place.

To add to the confusion, have a look at this specimen from Rio Propria:
uploadfromtaptalk1337551145369.jpg

This is a group of fish that need a second look in my opinion. I've seen some called 'bahia blue', 'blue flash' Rio Uruguay, Urubu, etc. Very confusing!
Any insights?

uploadfromtaptalk1337549248630.jpg

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No question about it, the brasiliensis complex is pretty mixed up at the moment. The Iporangensis can be easily confused with other brasiliensis types, but only when they are young. They tend to be more streamlined, and don't get nearly as large as Bahia Reds. I've kept them as well. For their size, tough little buggers.

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
I snapped a couple of really bad pictures of my male, he is just under 9". These are really easy fish to keep and breed like crazy. Mine do not really show any humps and are not nearly as aggressivive as a normal brasillensis.

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
He looks amazing JD!
I snapped a couple of really bad pictures of my male, he is just under 9". These are really easy fish to keep and breed like crazy. Mine do not really show any humps and are not nearly as aggressivive as a normal brasillensis.

Sent from my LG-MS910 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store