Golden Arowana

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Thank you
This is 7yr old Arowana purchased from most reputed shop in my country, Qatar. THey import fishes from reputed farms only. This fish from Malaysia.
No certificate avaialble. Arowanas with certificates are damn expensive here.
Reputable farms & shops only sell chipped Asian Arowana with proper certs. -- I'm not saying there isn't a black market for fish without certs/chips, but imho most reputable farms wouldn't risk getting caught selling them without, they could lose their CITES registration, export license and jeopardize their whole operation.

Reactions: Matteus

Michaelsky

Feeder Fish
Nov 23, 2019
Dear Friends,

Is this Golden Crossback Arowana. It has blue base . Size 18".

Is it advisable to buy this large size arowana

View attachment 1387613

View attachment 1387614
Dear all, I am Michael, a newbie to Arowana. I have been reading this forum for a while, until today, please allow me to comment on this Aro... Isn't this HB-RTG (a non exist term, normally name as High Back or Hybrid). I already reconfirm this with my Sensei(teacher). Please take note the top head shape and jaw.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Oh you arowana guys! I'm just saying when's it gonna go super saiyan? At what lvl 4,5,6! its a nice looking fish at a pretty decent price. Be happy you are even afforded the chance to be able to keep one. So much pomp and circumstance. :ROFL:
Lol, if US ever legalizes Asian Arowana and you get one, guaranteed you will do exactly the same ;)

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Lol, if US ever legalizes Asian Arowana and you get one, guaranteed you will do exactly the same ;)
Remember i used to do corals. So its pretty much the same thing. Id buy them based on color or shape I didnt go on rarity or name. Although I ended up with alot of rare highly sought after named corals. When I fragged them and sold them id put a fair price on them and thats it. People would come up at the frag swaps and say "oh my god! You have Darth maul zoas! Is it $10/head?" No it's $10 for that frag. Sold! Lol I was always criticized for my lack of pomp I guess....
So yes I will look for the super saiyan arowana but only because its the prettiest one there. If "there" ever becomes a possibility. :thumbsup:

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Oh you arowana guys! I'm just saying when's it gonna go super saiyan? At what lvl 4,5,6! its a nice looking fish at a pretty decent price. Be happy you are even afforded the chance to be able to keep one. So much pomp and circumstance. :ROFL:

Hahaha this is so spot on.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Understand where you gents are coming from but if you think it's bad on MFK go hang out on some of the dedicated SEA Arowana sites -- it's downright kinda crazy: you'll see guys admitting to running home from work every day to see if their fish crossed another mm while they were away lol.

But actually it's not really all about pomp, there's the mystery and challenge of how well your fish will really turn out -- depending both on its genetics and your skill level/ability to provide it with a decent home (while praying to the aquatic gods it doesn't jump outta the tank when you turn your back for a moment).

Also if one walks into a shop to buy the prettiest super saiyan that doesn't mean it'll really be the prettiest super saiyan later -- if they're on the younger side (when most of us buy them) it's particularly hard to tell (esp. with Reds), so there's an element of luck as well. If you really want to buy the prettiest (which means older/bigger) super saiyan you see in the shop you'd best bring a big briefcase full of cash, it'll be about quadruple+ the price of a youngin.

Insofar as the name/ID thing, well we can see the same kind of questions and concerns on almost every species sub-forum on MFK ("Help -- what kind of African Cichlid or Flowerhorn is this?" lol -- it's pretty natural to want to know specifically what kind of fish you have, and naturally even more so when you're talking about fish that cost a heck of a lot more than $10 :) Given there has been some hokey pokey/greedier players in the Arowana market over the years, it's even more understandable that Aro owners discuss this.

Similarly, while you might be an exception, there's certainly no lack of pomp and show in the saltwater community -- and imho why not? It's an expensive hobby that takes a lot of time, money and effort do successfully, kudos to those who achieve the highest results and want to show them off to the world.

All of that said amongst FW keepers I won't deny that Asian Arowana owners take it all to the highest level, it's just a culture than has risen around the fish given their beauty, size, presence, price/relative exclusivity and challenge level to bring out their best. I would argue those wacky Flowerhorn keepers take 2nd place in going overboard lol. I happen to own both species, I guess I'm just a pompous and wacky guy ha ha :)

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Point in case, look what this guy did to his poor family -- mainly all for Asian Arowana:

After watching this I vowed I would never let that happen to me.

A year later: my teenage daughter could run away and I probably wouldn't notice :ROFL: (just kidding)

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Understand where you gents are coming from but if you think it's bad on MFK go hang out on some of the dedicated SEA Arowana sites -- it's downright kinda crazy: you'll see guys admitting to running home from work every day to see if their fish crossed another mm while they were away lol.

But actually it's not really all about pomp, there's the mystery and challenge of how well your fish will really turn out -- depending both on its genetics and your skill level/ability to provide it with a decent home (while praying to the aquatic gods it doesn't jump outta the tank when you turn your back for a moment).

Also if one walks into a shop to buy the prettiest super saiyan that doesn't mean it'll really be the prettiest super saiyan later -- if they're on the younger side (when most of us buy them) it's particularly hard to tell (esp. with Reds), so there's an element of luck as well. If you really want to buy the prettiest (which means older/bigger) super saiyan you see in the shop you'd best bring a big briefcase full of cash, it'll be about quadruple+ the price of a youngin.

Insofar as the name/ID thing, well we can see the same kind of questions and concerns on almost every species sub-forum on MFK ("Help -- what kind of African Cichlid or Flowerhorn is this?" lol -- it's pretty natural to want to know specifically what kind of fish you have, and naturally even more so when you're talking about fish that cost a heck of a lot more than $10 :) Given there has been some hokey pokey/greedier players in the Arowana market over the years, it's even more understandable that Aro owners discuss this.

Similarly, while you might be an exception, there's certainly no lack of pomp and show in the saltwater community -- and imho why not? It's an expensive hobby that takes a lot of time, money and effort do successfully, kudos to those who achieve the highest results and want to show them off to the world.

All of that said amongst FW keepers I won't deny that Asian Arowana owners take it all to the highest level, it's just a culture than has risen around the fish given their beauty, size, presence, price/relative exclusivity and challenge level to bring out their best. I would argue those wacky Flowerhorn keepers take 2nd place in going overboard lol. I happen to own both species, I guess I'm just a pompous and wacky guy ha ha :)
:ROFL:
So true on many levels.
You named the top 2 in my mind who's the third, American cichlids or Africans?
I did alway hate that part of the coral game. People would be mad at me for selling that high end coral for cheap. I never understood it. It was like they wanted stuff to be expensive until they wanted it from me that is... I think it should be more affordable. Not saying I didnt spend stupid money on some colored sticks. I think I payed about $100 a polyp for those mauls. My zhyzos cost about $400 each I had 6. Lots of money spent in the salt world.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Grade A,B,C,D even up till Z is all up to perception.... there is no official grading

without a cert, hard to ascertain what type of golden is it.... at most is a guesstimate

Buy if you are happy how it looks like..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store