Good substitute for Dojo ( weather) loach?

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
I am making my final stocking list for my koi and goldfish ponds but have ran into a bit of a snag! I was originally planning on having Dojo loaches in both the koi and goldfish pond and in the fancy goldfish pond but I live in NY and the Dojo loach is a prohibited species here. I decided to substitute them with Chinese high-fin banded shark suckers in the koi pond but I am still trying to decide what to get for the fancy goldfish pond ( I feared the high-fin banded sharks are too big and robust to be with fancies and potentially harm them)? The other species that will be in the pond with the fancy goldfish are hoplo catfish, bearded cories and either rubberlip pleco or bristlenose pleco. I have been looking at one species that may be a candidate but I can’t seem to find a whole lot of information on them; the horsehead loach. So if anyone could weigh in with some information on the horsehead loach or can suggest another species that would be better, especially if anyone knows of a species that looks more like a Dojo loach, that is legal in my state, and can be kept at colder temperatures that would be great!?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Kuhli loaches look similar.
I would say fine gravel or sand is a good substrate.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
I don't think you are going to have much luck with most of those outside in NY. Your horsehead has 60F as a lower range. Is this going to be heated? I would look at native suckers.

Reactions: tlindsey

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
I don't think you are going to have much luck with most of those outside in NY. Your horsehead has 60F as a lower range. Is this going to be heated? I would look at native suckers.
The ponds will be indoors so even though the ponds themselves are not going to be heated the house will be, so our upstate ny winter ( which are usually pretty brutal) will not be an issue.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
Then your horse head should be good. Ancistrus do not like cold. I have lost them when the temp got in the 60s. How do you feel about zodiacs Mesonoemacheilus triangularis?

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
Then your horse head should be good. Ancistrus do not like cold. I have lost them when the temp got in the 60s. How do you feel about zodiacs Mesonoemacheilus triangularis?
They have a really nice pattern but are unfortunately too small ( from the info I have seen on them). The goldfish would eat them.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
anybody have any idea how a dojo would do in a barebottom tank with multiple hiding spots and plants? Despite the love for digging, I wonder if sufficient hiding would be good enough to keep them happy?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store