Good substitute for Dojo ( weather) loach?

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I have a ~2-3mm fine grained natural gravel in my 55gal w/ dojos. Mine prefer to lounge and weave through the hardscape, anubia and java fern, but they can easily dig through this substrate as well.

To the OP, you said you live in NY (I do too) and would be keeping them in a pond. What about winter time? It's said that weather loaches are more temperate than sub-tropical, but I'm not sure they'd survive in say ~35Fdeg water.

Shadowplec6

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Cato, NY
I have a ~2-3mm fine grained natural gravel in my 55gal w/ dojos. Mine prefer to lounge and weave through the hardscape, anubia and java fern, but they can easily dig through this substrate as well.

To the OP, you said you live in NY (I do too) and would be keeping them in a pond. What about winter time? It's said that weather loaches are more temperate than sub-tropical, but I'm not sure they'd survive in say ~35Fdeg water.
The pond will be indoors on a fully enclosed all-season porch, so the cold winter weather is not going to be an issue ?

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
The pond will be indoors on a fully enclosed all-season porch, so the cold winter weather is not going to be an issue ?
Even if temps did drop, I've read that dojos will take what ever water temps a goldfish can.

Mine don't spend as much time on the substrate as I thought they would. They happily dig under something to get at a sinking pellet or disk food, but most of the time mine are resting, they like to lounge in the plants or up higher somewhere.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store