Green Deacon

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Looks a lot like my female heros sp. inirida. I have two males and one female. Males have spots. I initially thought they were the heros notatus but I did some researching to find out what I really had. I find out the notatus have black markings or spotting whereas the inirida have burgundy coloration as with yours and what I have. View attachment 1160240 View attachment 1160241
These are two different species. The first one is a Heros liberifer, the mouthbrooding severum, and the second is a male Heros sp. Inirida which is a substrate spawner. Both species inhabit the same river which is probably why they were caught and sold together.

The severum in the first picture is a female green, Heros efasciatus.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
These are two different species. The first one is a Heros liberifer, the mouthbrooding severum, and the second is a male Heros sp. Inirida which is a substrate spawner. Both species inhabit the same river which is probably why they were caught and sold together.

The severum in the first picture is a female green, Heros efasciatus.
Interesting...the female you claim is a liberifer wants to mate with a male red severum. Mouth brooder with a substrate spawned? Is that possible?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Are efasciatus what you normally find at fish stores?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Interesting...the female you claim is a liberifer wants to mate with a male red severum. Mouth brooder with a substrate spawned? Is that possible?
Other people have claimed they will court each other, but I've never personally seen it in my own tanks. The fish is definitely H. liberifer. You can tell by the horizontal lines compromised of red dots and the lips/mouth shape, both of which are unique to liberifer.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
^ Google "green deacon fish."

There are lots of common names for cichlids which is why things get so confusing in the hobby. It's why Latin names are so much easier.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store