Growth rate of a black ghost knife

BTB0923

Candiru
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Morrisville, North Carolina
I recently added a black ghost knife to my 55 gallon tank. His tankmates are a 7 inch arowana and a 5 inch pleco. I'm afraid if my ghost knife doesn't grow quickly he will be a great meal for my arowana pretty soon. How fast do black ghost knife fish grow??

dark_knights_99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
Philippines
BTB0923;1990148; said:
I recently added a black ghost knife to my 55 gallon tank. His tankmates are a 7 inch arowana and a 5 inch pleco. I'm afraid if my ghost knife doesn't grow quickly he will be a great meal for my arowana pretty soon. How fast do black ghost knife fish grow??
BGK are slow growers in a year they can reach only at 5-6 inches.

RichyBGK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Newcastle, England
in the 3.5 yr i had my main one he grew from 8.5" to 12". I was feeding every 2-3 days but have "upped it" to every other day. There has been a noticable increase but i don't want to "powerfeed" him. I've heard of some people saying theirs grew from 2/3" to about 10/11" in approx 1 year, much to fast IMO.
If an estimated fish of approx 18-20" grows that fast then i'd imagine the lifespan will be shortened drastically :(

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I got mine in Feb @ 4-4.5" and he is now at 9". He has been riaised with discus, so the water has always been pristine with nitrate levels never above 10ppm. The discus were fed 3 times daily and he always would come out and feed with them. Once he got to be 8" he gets a earthworm every other day.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
They seem to average a half inch every month. Still faster than Dats.

cmartin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Canada
My BGK went from 3 inches to 10 inches in a year.

He had fantasic water conditions and a variety of good foods - infact I haven't found anything he won't eat :). He is also in a 'community tank' and he has done very well. He is long and sleek but powerful at the same time.

I am not sure of any impact on the life span. I am sure in nature there are times of plenty and times when food is scarce. Just like people - they adapt. Some people feed every other day - some twice a day. Who is right? Who is wrong? I don't really think there is an answer. Just like raising our children - we take advice that seems 'logical' or from a trusted source and mix it with our own experiences - to varying levels of success.

I am pretty sure that if I decided to miss a feeding for Shadow - he would get to a certain point and then 'hunt'. That is his nature. One of the reasons the 'community' has thrived is that food is not an issue. I try not to over feed - sometimes that is hard. If I find that there is more food than normal when I do my WC each week, then I know I have been over doing it and I need to cut back.

I prefer to be the 'hand that feeds my BGK' and if his life is shortened by having good food and a safe place to live then 'so be it'. It is just a preference like many other things in life.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store