Guapot Profiles..my first ones so might not be good...

dovii88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
rhode island of course
thnx king for the info while im gonne

Doviiking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2006
New Jersey
Dovii88 how many guapots you got now anyway?

Doviiking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2006
New Jersey
Is there any intresting hybrids of guapots? I had once heard their was a freak hybrid guapote killer nick named Wolverine Cichlid. any info on that?

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
jags and dovii have been crossed together. that's the only guapote hybrid I've heard of but that's not to say that others wouldn't cross. I don't think it would be hard to cross a loisellei and friedrichsthalli due to their similar appearance.

for those who don't want to read the link doviiking posted (though you should, it's a good read), there are only 6 true guapotes...the 5 Parachromis species (managuense, motaguense, dovii, loisellei and friedrichsthalli) and Petenia splendida. there are others sometimes referred to as mini guapotes (salvini, istlanum, grammodes, beani etc) but these aren't technically "Guapotes". :)

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
There are several guatopes that have been crossbred....red tiger mota with jags, red tiger mota with dovii...all sorts of combos. My fav. though was the jag x salvini cros...wow that was a crisp lookin fish!

dovii88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
rhode island of course
umm doviiking i have currently three types of guapotes...mota.jag.dovii..soon to be loiselli, and fried..ive have salvinis..but not a true guapote..

geeah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
CANADA EH
Thanks for the info Doviiking. FinsandFangs your fish looks awesome I have never seen a loisellei in my area... but damn now I want one!

dovii88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
rhode island of course
Red Tiger Motaguensis

Scientific Name: Parachromis Motaguensis

pH: 7.0 - 8.0

kH:10-12

Temp.: 76 - 82

Geo. origin: Guatemala, Honduras

Habitat: Streams, Pools, Drainage Channels

Diet: Carnivore

Breeding: Substrate Spawner

Temperment: Highly Aggressive

Difficulty: 4

Max. Size: 12"

Info:
The red tiger motaguensis is the smaller guapote in the genus parachromis. Only obtaining a max size of 12" which is small for a guapote. What it lacks in size it makes up in spunk. Dont fool yourself thinking that this fish isnt aggressive they will stand up to anything even larger fish. The red tiger mota teeth are a little bit more pronounced then the jaguar or dovii's in my oppinion. The red tiger mainly eats smaller fish and crustaceans, but will eat any prepared foods offered to it. The red tiger mota, should be kept in a tank no smaller then 75 gallons, but i would go bigger just to be safe.

Food in Captivity:
Pellets
Krill
Crayfish(declawed)
Fish fillets
All frozen food
and anything else that gets in its way

This fish breeds in small to medium grade substrate, in which it digs large pits(usually around 5-6 pits depending on size and territory) they do this so that they can move there fry around to keep them safe. Even though most animals would not bother a large m/f pair. The pair will usually have anywhere from 500-1000 eggs, maybe more depending on sizes of fish. They will brutally guard the fry and usually stay with them till they are a descent size 1"-2" maybe even bigger.

The color of the red tiger is a reddish color with various sized, black striping and facial markings with most displaying a black 'teardrop'. It displays a gorgeous gold color to it as well.

Just like the dovii, the red tiger requires clean water. They can not tolerate anything less then perfect water conditions. You may think that they can but they will not. You will no that your mota is Happy if you see bight colors, and an active personality. This means water changes and large ones every week. I would suggest only feeding ur fish once a day, or even every other day at that to have a healthy fish. Don't worry you will not starve ur fish.

The aquarium should be decorated with large rocks and driftwood to mimic its natural habitat. Any plants that are put in the aquarium will be immediately moved around to your fishes liking.

Tankmates can include:

Jags
gt
arrows
pikes
larger cats....and many other larger cichlids...

These are not my pics....

Par_motaguense_02.jpg

Par_motaguense_01.jpg

Par_motaguense_07.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store