Gymnallabes typus

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
That is true. Not needing to purge worms assumes they were dug up from somewhere with no pesticides, fertilizers, weed killers, or similar.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Honestly I'm surprised he hasn't tried to eat the smaller fish he was in. Nice whiskers too.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
That is true. Not needing to purge worms assumes they were dug up from somewhere with no pesticides, fertilizers, weed killers, or similar.
I have never purged earthworms and have used them as fish food for many years. The excrement from earthworms is referred to as "castings" and is sold for gardeners. It's used as a rich fertilizer or soil augmentation ingredient. I've never given a second thought to handling it or considered removing it from worms used for fish...just as I never hesitate to manually squeeze out a sponge filter that is loaded with...well, we all know what it's full of. :)

But...I would never feed earthworms that come from areas that are exposed to pesticides/herbicides or any non-organic fertilizers or chemicals. Whether or not they are purged would make no difference whatsoever.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I see. So it means they absorbed the herbicide/pesticide/chemical/fertilizer.
Thank you for that, it's good to know. Helps me get a good understanding of why digging up worms from a place with those makes them unsafe.

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I see. So it means they absorbed the herbicide/pesticide/chemical/fertilizer.
Thank you for that, it's good to know. Helps me get a good understanding of why digging up worms from a place with those makes them unsafe.
Please understand, I do not claim to know for a certainty that this is the case...but not knowing, and being cynical enough not to believe reassurances from those who do claim to know...I prefer to err on the side of caution.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I love how he's managing to stay fairly straight instead of hanging/drooping over the plant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store