Gymnothorax polyuranodon (True Freshwater moray eel)

Tucc185

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
Boulder, CO
www.reef2rainforest.com
Thanks for the article Oddball, it's a pretty exhaustive list of species. I know most of the info out there says that it is a brackish fish, and should be kept as such, but I feel like switching it to brackish when it is apparently thriving and has been for quite some time now is a bad idea. Also, fishbase says this species is found in lakes (lentic) which generally indicates landlocked bodies of fresh water, correct? I feel that there is very little info on this species and in the lack of info it is more or less assumed they are brackish, perhaps falsely (at least for some populations). After all, if the Lake Nicaragua shark and freshwater Florida stingrays weren't well studied species, who would believe they could possibly occur in freshwater? My point being, if a fish is eating, growing, and acting in a way which is typical for its species, is it safe to assume it is thriving in its current environment? I think so. That being said, I am perfectly prepared to move it into a kickass brackish setup should I see any indication its health is failing.

Aadriel

Gambusia
Mar 23, 2011
MT
I have been searching for someone I can buy some of these guys from, where did you get yours? I really would like to know! :)

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
My friend in Indonesia keeps Gymnothorax Polyuranodon in "freshwater" for years, with stingrays, and they're all doing fine to this day. I say "freshwater" because he filled his aquarium with the water from the river where he caught them, and we never actually check for the salinity (here in Indonesia it's not easy to find hydrometers, or a LFS which even knows what hydrometers are)..

Here is a clip of the eels. I plan to buy one from him, but the negotiation part are tricky. Hobbysts are often reluctant to part from their beloved pets! :D

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Indeed, my polyuranodon and my echidna rhodochilus has become good friends. Now they're having a conversation about who has the rights to eat the last remaining piece of frozen shrimp ;)

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
My G. Polyuranodon suddenly ate bloodworms tonite. It even robbed bloodworms right from the mouth of my macrobrachium shrimp. I was so surprised I forgot to take pictures. Now my shrimp looked depressed :D

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
lol good for him my smaller fire eel is always getting his nightcrawlers by the bigger eels. In fact my black spotted eel doesn't even come out of his hide at feeding time he just waits for the other eel to swim by and steals his worm. I think the record for thefts is 6

Reactions: john_lord_b3
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store