Gymnothorax tile Care help ( FW snowflake eel)

AmazonCreature

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2018
Chicago
I came across this guy at my LFS and I just HAD to have him. Me myself, I love exotic freshwater fish. So this is my first attempt to go brakish. I would like to gather any info or tips I can about this eel. I do have a 55gal that’s empty I’m going to be turning into a brakish water aquarium for the eel and my Colombian shark.
1) how long can the eel love in freshwater? But not long enough to hurt the fish. I’d rather make the steps in the right direction now than later.
2) any care tips? Such as temps, what to feed, tankmates, etc.

EDDC2F32-639E-4165-8A4C-82E28B79F033.png 980B552E-12BF-48B5-91F9-29433850CC97.png FA9FAC5A-1848-4722-8B75-4EF0313DD5A3.png

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I believe a lot have had them months and then die after purchase. This has always been a complaint with these eels. Would convert them over to brackish right away.

Would keep the tank completely covered.

Temps of 78 degrees should be fine. Feed any meaty foods.

Tankmates would be other larger brackish fish like monos and larger scats and gobies.

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
I came across this guy at my LFS and I just HAD to have him. Me myself, I love exotic freshwater fish. So this is my first attempt to go brakish. I would like to gather any info or tips I can about this eel. I do have a 55gal that’s empty I’m going to be turning into a brakish water aquarium for the eel and my Colombian shark.
1) how long can the eel love in freshwater? But not long enough to hurt the fish. I’d rather make the steps in the right direction now than later.
2) any care tips? Such as temps, what to feed, tankmates, etc.

View attachment 1303263 View attachment 1303264 View attachment 1303265
Cute G.Tile. You don't have to go full brackish, at least not right away. Aim for 1.005 sg for the first month, then gradually raise to 1.008-1.010 sg (full brackish).

Ideal food for G. tile are defrosted frozen seafood (chopped shrimps, calamari etc). For new speciment, live river shrimps will do until it learn to eat frozen food.

All FW Morays need hiding places. PVC pipes does the trick for mine. After a few weeks of hiding, it will slowly adapt itself to the new aquarium and begin searching for food.

IMG_20171130_190228.jpg

Keep the temperature and PHs equal to tropical waters's

Don't keep them with swift fishes (such as cichlids etc), they are rather slow in searching for food, swift/quick fishes would have consumed their food long before the eel find it.

Don't forget to cover the aquarium top, they are adventurous and WILL attempt to escape.

Keep the water quality at the best. Lots of oxygen and strong filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store