Help please!

ilikefish:)

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2023
Hello everyone! My name is mia and i'm 15 years old. I registered on here because I needed advice from others who are more experienced than me! I am not very huge on fish myself but my father is. He is very passionate about his fish tank but lately one of his dinosaur eel (I think that's the name..) has become ill I believe. The stomach of the eel has become swollen or bloated even along with some of its scales having slight blood around them. The poor guy only hangs around the bottom of the tank now and can never swim up without sinking anymore. Does anyone know what this is? And is there a treatment? I am not currently home but when I get home I will take a picture and try to share it here. Please help me! Thank you!

• Sad
Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hello everyone! My name is mia and i'm 15 years old. I registered on here because I needed advice from others who are more experienced than me! I am not very huge on fish myself but my father is. He is very passionate about his fish tank but lately one of his dinosaur eel (I think that's the name..) has become ill I believe. The stomach of the eel has become swollen or bloated even along with some of its scales having slight blood around them. The poor guy only hangs around the bottom of the tank now and can never swim up without sinking anymore. Does anyone know what this is? And is there a treatment? I am not currently home but when I get home I will take a picture and try to share it here. Please help me! Thank you!
Welcome to MFK,can you post some photos of the afflicted fish?

Reactions: ilikefish:)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard
What you have described is bloat some bichir aka dinosaur eels are susceptible to bloat.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Mia tell your dad that the dinosaur eel is a made up name. Polypterus also known as bichir are not eels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store