Help!

Silvertongue700

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2021
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
71-80%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
My Uaru pair are showing signs of disease after I added a ghost knife with no quarantine prior unfortunately. This is the smaller female who has it much worse than the male at the moment. My temp was at 82 but I turned it up to 86 over the last few days and I added IchX yesterday. Am I on the right track? What do I need to do? IMG_4040.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My Uaru pair are showing signs of disease after I added a ghost knife with no quarantine prior unfortunately. This is the smaller female who has it much worse than the male at the moment. My temp was at 82 but I turned it up to 86 over the last few days and I added IchX yesterday. Am I on the right track? What do I need to do? View attachment 1545022
It doesn't look like ich. Hopefully this helps.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Epistylis I thought responds well to formalin+malachite green meds, same as ich does. Why are you considering the antibiotics?

Silvertongue700

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2021
Epistylis I thought responds well to formalin+malachite green meds, same as ich does. Why are you considering the antibiotics?
Based on the video tlindsey sent and what I’ve been reading I thought Marycn 2 on food and IchX is what’s needed. I took frozen krill and added Marycn with a binder and then fed it to the fish and also put in IchX. Since doing that the 2 Uaru are resting on the bottom..

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
Since you are treating your food and not the whole tank I would add salt at 1tbsp/2-3 gal of tank water also. This will kill bacteria in the water column and break its life cycle removing the epistylis food source.
I have used 1tbsp/1gal of tank water to treat discus so your uraru will be fine.
This water softener salt is what I use. It’s $8 for $40 from Home Depot or Lowe’s if you’re in the US

IMG_3544.jpeg

Silvertongue700

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2021
Since you are treating your food and not the whole tank I would add salt at 1tbsp/2-3 gal of tank water also. This will kill bacteria in the water column and break its life cycle removing the epistylis food source.
I have used 1tbsp/1gal of tank water to treat discus so your uraru will be fine.
This water softener salt is what I use. It’s $8 for $40 from Home Depot or Lowe’s if you’re in the US

View attachment 1545061
Yeah I thought salt might be a good idea but I also have Altums and I was worried they might not handle it well. They are Rio Vichada tank bred ones so they are tougher. You think it’s ok still at the dose you listed?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store