Help!

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
I was very nervous dosing my discus tank at 1tbsp/1gal but they handled it without issue. They were tank raised also, but I know folks over on the Simply Discus website that use this dosing with wild discus from 0 TDS native waters.
To be careful you could bring it up to concentration over a 24 hour period and keep watch as you add each subsequent dose 👍🏼

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The video only speaks about an antibiotic treatment and an alternative salt treatment. The first kills the bacteria the epistylis feeds on, the latter kills the epistylis itself. No mention of formalin-malachite green treatment.

Also the video is in a bit of contradiction with other writeups on the epistylis I had read but I guess several approaches have been shown successful, which is great as it gives a keeper flexibility.

Reactions: danotaylor

Silvertongue700

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2021
I was very nervous dosing my discus tank at 1tbsp/1gal but they handled it without issue. They were tank raised also, but I know folks over on the Simply Discus website that use this dosing with wild discus from 0 TDS native waters.
To be careful you could bring it up to concentration over a 24 hour period and keep watch as you add each subsequent dose 👍🏼
Got it and you are saying the salt combined with the Maracyn 2 will be sufficient?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

danotaylor

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2024
Okeana Ohio
I cannot answer that question with confidence, but what I do know is that in addition to the correct internal medicine, the right salt dose will deal with the bacterial load in the water column and stimulate slime coat production where it has been damaged.
I would encourage a daily 50% water change for a week to remove dead bacteria and replace the salt concentration with fresh water. Keep at that concentration for 2 weeks then as you do water changes beyond 2 weeks let the salt concentration come back down 👍🏼

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store